- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 134
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Broca's Area: Function & Definition
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you plan on taking the FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam in the near future, try studying with this convenient online test preparation course. The course consists of engaging video lessons, practice quizzes and additional resources that help you prepare for the test at your own pace. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
17 chapters in FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 (042): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About This Course
This course offers a comprehensive overview of the topics you'll need to know for the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam. As you work through the course's engaging video lessons, you'll refresh your knowledge of the instructional, assessment and intervention methods that are utilized in special education and speech therapy. You'll also take a look at communication processes, types of speech and hearing impairments, special education research and much more. The course is entirely self-paced, and you can access it online at any time using your computer or mobile device. We've also included practice quizzes throughout the course to help you reinforce your understanding of essential speech and language concepts.
Check out our FTCE test prep materials! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational FTCE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
As you work through the course, you'll strengthen your understanding of speech and language instructional methods, assessment types and intervention techniques. The course is closely aligned with the topics that you'll likely encounter on your FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam. When you're finished working through the course, you should be able to:
- Recognize speech mechanisms
- Describe the functions of the human ear
- Identify the linguistic features of the English language
- Evaluate several speech, language and hearing impairments
- Explain assessment methods for speech, language and hearing
- Outline intervention strategies for students who have communication impairments
- Discuss effective speech therapy activities and strategies
- Talk about the importance of assistive technology and collaboration in special education classrooms
- Summarize the historical, ethical and legal foundations of special education
- Assess the components and purposes of Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Understand the professional roles and responsibilities of special education teachers
- Analyze communication disorder research
In this course, you'll review 121 lessons that are divided into 16 topical chapters. As you work through each lesson, be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to reinforce your knowledge. You can also take the chapter exams and reach out to our subject-matter experts if you have any questions.
FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 (042) Exam Information
The FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam is used for special education teacher certification purposes in the state of Florida.
- Number of Questions: 120
- Question Types: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $200 (first attempt); $220 (retake)
FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 (042) Exam Breakdown
|FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of basic communication processes||20%||24||42|
|Knowledge of the assessment process for students served in the school population||30%||36||16|
|Knowledge of intervention techniques for students served in the school population||30%||36||37|
|Knowledge of professional and legal issues||15%||18||22|
|Knowledge of research and theory||5%||6||4|
FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 Preparation & Registration
This course is designed to help you prepare for the test quickly and efficiently. As you work through each chapter, you'll review essential definitions and examples that illustrate the speech and language concepts that are covered on the FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam. The lesson quizzes help you retain the information you study, and the practice exams help you get comfortable with the types of questions you can expect to answer on your exam day. The engaging nature of our video lessons can help you remember the information, and you can also print out lesson transcripts to review when you're not by your computer.
Registration for the exam can be done online through the official FTCE website. You can register 24/7, and you'll need to create an account in order to begin the registration process. This process involves answering some background questions, agreeing to all testing policies and selecting the exam you with to take (in this case, the FTCE Speech-Language Impaired K-12 exam). You'll then submit an online payment for the exam fee and select the institutions to which you want your scores sent. You'll receive an admission ticket via email after you register, and you'll need to schedule your test appointment within one year upon registration.
Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- FTCE Test Preparation & Resources
- Advantages of Taking an Online Course Video
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How Online Courses Work Video
- Online Sign Language Lessons, Classes and Courses
- List of Free Online French Language Lessons and Courses
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses