- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 127
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1History of Early Childhood Education
Course SummaryThe lessons and teacher resources in this course can help you better understand the fundamentals of early childhood special education. Use this course to develop quality lesson plans, learn helpful teaching strategies and enhance the learning experience for your young students.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Early childhood special education addresses unique challenges in the field of education. Educators are regularly updating strategies for identifying students with developmental delays, impairments, handicaps and disabilities and addressing their learning needs in the classroom. Lessons in this course takes a close look at early childhood special education by examining various types of special needs among young children, how to address those needs in the classroom, ways to help students excel and how to assess student progress. Short quizzes in this course can use to gauge your knowledge of these concepts. Practice chapter exams and a course exam are also available to test your understanding of early childhood special education.
How It Works
Lessons are accessible from any computer, smartphone or tablet, enabling you to develop curriculum grounded in the fundamentals of early childhood special education in the most convenient fashion. Review the lessons in the classroom, at home or anywhere with an Internet connection.
Features available in this course include:
- Engaging video and text lessons designed to strengthen your knowledge of the fundamentals of early childhood special education
- Self-assessment quizzes that test your understanding of the lessons
- Chapter exams reinforce early childhood special education concepts
- A course exam that provides a comprehensive review of the lessons
How It Helps
- Offers up-to-date information: The lessons in this course provide up-to-date information to ensure you know the latest concepts, methods, strategies and legislation associated with early childhood special education.
- Provides instructional strategies: This course offers strategies for identifying special education needs, developing educational programs and creating curriculum that can help you instruct your students at the highest level.
- Addresses specific educational needs: Lessons can help you better understand specific challenges students can face, including autism, language delays, sensory disorders and ADHD, as well as ways to address those challenges in the classroom.
- Understanding basic information about early childhood special education
- Developing intervention plans for young children
- Gauging student progress in early childhood special education
- Organizing and planning instruction for young children in special education
- Designing special education learning environments for young children
- Identifying and differentiating between disorders, impairments and disabilities
- Teaching young children with autism spectrum disorders, language delays and sensory disorders
- Helping young children with special needs develop their reading skills
- Grasping the roles and responsibilities of the early childhood special education professional
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Online Early Childhood Special Education Classes and Courses
- Online Courses in Early Childhood Education: Distance Learning Options
- What You Can Learn From My Experience As a Young Teacher
- Classes and Courses in Early Childhood Education
- Salary and Career Info for Early Childhood Special Education Teachers
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- Online Courses for Early Childhood Development
- Early Childhood Education Degree in North Carolina with Course Info
- Online College Courses in Early Childhood Education with School Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses