- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 77
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Food Safety: Definition & Guidelines
This course can be found in: GACE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 90+ GACE study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this study guide, you'll find all the content you need to know to pass the first subtest in the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences test series, a requirement for Georgia educators who wish to teach in this field. This subtest covers nutrition, consumer resources, and textiles-related subjects. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
12 chapters in GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test I (044): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related GACE Courses
About This Course
If you are a Georgia-licensed teacher intending to teach Family & Consumer Sciences (formerly Home Economics), you have to pass the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test. Like many other GACE subject tests, the Family & Consumer Sciences Education test actually consists of two subtests, which you may take separately or combined. This study guide focuses on Part 1 of the test; through our quick and engaging video lessons, you'll review nutrition basics, topics in economics and resource management, and principles of textiles and apparel.
Check out our GACE test prep materials! We've got GACE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive GACE study guides to help you study, GACE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational GACE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Use our comprehensive study and practice guide to get a complete review of everything you'll encounter on the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences test. Our expert-taught lessons were designed to align with Georgia education standards, ensuring that you'll be getting a rundown of the content you need to know to pass. This guide details the three major content areas of the first subtest, which includes topics in family nutrition and wellness, food preparation and sanitation, consumer economics and rights, textile production and wardrobe planning. After working through the chapters in this guide, you'll be able to:
- Trace the origins of the food we eat and identify sources of contamination
- Understand how foods are processed, prepared and consumed
- Identify the factors present in a balanced diet and how a balanced diet contributes to wellness
- Recognize nutrient sources and their functions
- Discuss the changing nutritional needs across all ages, from infants to senior citizens
- Describe the rights of the consumer and the policies that support consumer responsibility
- Detail the management of environmental and economic resources at home and in the community, including conservation and waste management
- Discuss ways to manage individual and family financial resources and meet financial goals
- Identify regulations and safety standards related to textile production and apparel
- Describe the basics of textile production, including tools, techniques, construction and costs
- Understand the various factors (social, economic, cultural) that can affect apparel choices
- Describe and demonstrate ways to maintain, clean, alter and care for apparel
This study guide contains 11 chapters, which are subdivided into 79 quick lessons, each one detailing a topic covered in part 1 of the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test. Each lesson also includes a short quiz that will help you check your understanding of the material as you work through the guide.
GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test I Information
All Georgia state educators who wish to teach Family & Consumer Sciences must show proficiency in the subject by passing the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test I.
- Number of Questions: 80 questions
- Question Type: Selected Response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $123
GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test I Breakdown
|GACE Concept||Percent of the Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Food Science, Nutrition, and Wellness||50%||40 questions||40|
|Resource Management||30%||24 questions||22|
|Textiles and Apparel||20%||16 questions||17|
GACE is a registered trademark of the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Family and Consumer Science Courses and Classes
- Study.com Updates
- Online Degrees in Family and Consumer Science
- Family & Consumer Sciences PhD Programs
- Top Colleges for Family & Consumer Sciences Degrees
- Family and Consumer Science Degree Program Information
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- The Subjects New Early Childhood Teachers Need to Study
- Meet the December 2018 Recipient of Study.com's Grant for Teachers
- GACE Test Preparation & Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses