- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 77
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Modern U.S. Public Schools: Kindergarten to High School
This course can be found in: GACE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 90+ GACE study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis study guide provides a review of counseling theories and school counselor roles and functions. All of the topics discussed in this course are the same as what you will be tested on when sitting for the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) School Counseling Test I exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related GACE Courses
About This Course
From foundational counseling and educational topics to human development theories, this course will address the fundamental information you need to know for the GACE School Counseling Test I exam. You will study types of counseling practices, theories, models, guidance counselor responsibilities and much more. After you complete your review of this course, you should have developed a stronger understanding of the following:
- Various roles in public education
- The history of counseling
- Guidance counselor roles, leadership functions and advocacy
- Theories and models of counseling
- Individual and group counseling practices
- Human development theories and stages
- Issues relating to abnormal human development
About the Exam
In the state of Georgia, the GACE School Counseling exam is used to measure the knowledge of aspiring professionals seeking certification in this field. Test I is the first of this two-part exam and covers two subareas: Foundations (80% of the exam) and Management (20%). The test is entirely computer-based and consists of 80 selected-response questions. A score of 220 must be earned to pass this GACE assessment exam.
GACE School Counseling Test I Exam Preparation & Registration
You can be fully prepared to take the GACE School Counseling Test I exam when you use this guide for review. Short video lessons provide quick but effective reviews of such topics as overviews of modern U.S. schools; effective counselor qualities; school counseling program development; human growth; and various social and cognitive disorders. Lessons are easily accessible at all times, from any device, and transcripts are printable for quick-reference purposes. Use short online contact forms to reach out to lesson instructors with any questions. Take self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to measure your ability to complete this test of the GACE School Counseling exam.
Registration for this or any GACE exam involves creating an account on the Georgia Professional Standards Commission website and obtaining a Georgia certification ID. This ID number is needed to create an ETS GACE testing account on the ETS website. Complete the registration process online or by phone and make payment of exam fees with a debit or credit card or via PayPal or e-check.
GACE is a registered trademark of the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- School Counseling Courses in Georgia with Degree Program Overviews
- School Counseling Graduate Programs in Georgia
- School Counseling Certification and Certificate Programs
- Should I Become a School Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be a School Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Online School Counseling Certification Information
- Christian Counseling Schools
- What Can You Do With a Master's in School Counseling?
- School Counseling Courses in MI with Degree Overviews
- Online Graduate Courses in Elementary School Counseling
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses