- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 62
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Use the GED RLA Prep Course
This course can be found in: GED Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 5 GED study guides, and 300+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryLearn about the Reasoning Through Language Arts portion of the GED exam with this engaging course. Short lessons go over topics likely to be on the exam, while mini quizzes allow you to answer questions similar to those you could find on the test. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This engaging test prep course can help you prepare for all areas of the language arts portion of the GED test, including grammar, reading for meaning and how to create arguments. Take your time as you work at your own pace, learning how to structure sentences, analyze informational texts and more. Professional instructors created these lessons, so you can be confident you're learning accurate information provided in an easy-to-understand format.
Check out our GED test prep materials! We've got GED courses to teach you the material, comprehensive GED study guides to help you study, GED practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational GED resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Our comprehensive test prep course contains lessons and chapters aligned with all the areas you'll need to be familiar with in order to do well on the GED Reasoning Through Language Arts exam. Here you'll review topics such as word choice and the organization of ideas for writing. Complete this course, and you should be able to:
- Restate and summarize an idea
- Compare and contrast ideas in a reading selection
- Share examples of point-of-view
- Explain the main point through supporting details
- Analyze the purpose of a text
- Synthesize written information
- Identify subject-verb agreement errors
- Exhibit knowledge of capitalization rules in writing
- Write strong transitional sentences and transitions
- Pinpoint grammatical errors in sentences
- Develop a thesis statement
This course is made up of 47 lessons, each accompanied by a self-assessment quiz, in a total of six chapters. For a more comprehensive review, we've included a multiple-choice test at the end of every chapter as well.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Exam Information
Over 97% of colleges and employers accept the GED high school equivalency credential. The Reasoning Through Language Arts portion of the GED test measures students' abilities in grammar and language, reasoning for meaning and how to identify and create arguments.
- Question Type: Drop-down, drag and drop, multiple-choice, select an answer, written response
- Time Limit: 150 minutes
- Exam Cost: Varies by state
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Registration and Preparation
You can schedule your GED online, and you may take one subject test at a time, in any order you prefer. Costs of taking the GED vary from one state to the next. You can pay for just one subject at a time and retake tests at a discounted price if you don't pass.
Our course includes video lessons in all areas of language arts and helps you track your progress. Each lesson has an accompanying quiz that allows you to measure your grasp of the topics. Through the videos and available text lessons, you can also learn testing strategies and gain practice with some of the same types of questions you might see on test day.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Scoring and Score Reports
The 2014 Language Arts test allows 150 minutes for completion and includes multiple-choice, extended response (essay) and technology-enhanced items, such as those with drop-down selections. The scoring scale for the complete battery reaches from 100 to 200, with the passing standard for high school equivalency set at 145 scaled score points. An honors score is 170 scaled score points or above.
The results of this computer-based test are often available online the same day as testing. After you've passed all 4 subject tests, you'll receive a transcript and diploma that you may use to show schools and prospective employers.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Exam is a registered trademark of GED Testing Service, LLC, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Test Information
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- GED Practice Test Online with Example GED Practice Test Questions
- Study.com Updates
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- GED Test Online: Overview of Online GED Programs and Exam Options
- GED Sample Test Questions and Answers
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Online Undergraduate Courses in English Language Arts
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses