- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 48
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Use the GED RLA Prep Course
Course SummaryLearn about the Reasoning Through Language Arts portion of the GED with this engaging study guide course. These short lessons help you review topics likely to be on the exam, while the lesson quizzes allow you to practice questions similar to those you could find on the test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This helpful test prep course can help you prepare for all areas of the language arts portion of the GED test, including language conventions and usage, writing and reading comprehension skills. Take your time as you work at your own pace, learning about the fundamentals of reading as well as writing mechanics and the writing process. Professional instructors created these lessons, so you can be confident you're learning accurate information provided in an easy-to-understand format.
Check out our GED Preparation resources! We've got GED courses to teach you the material, comprehensive GED study guides to help you study, GED practice tests to test your knowledge, and GED informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Our comprehensive test prep course contains lessons and chapters aligned with all the areas you'll need to be familiar with in order to do well on the GED Reasoning Through Language Arts exam. Here you'll review topics such as writing and structuring sentences and writing about a text. Complete this course, and you should be able to:
- Analyze and understand informational texts
- Comprehend fictional texts
- Outline grammar, word choice and mechanics
- Write and structure sentences
This course is made up of 42 lessons, each accompanied by a self-assessment quiz, in a total of eight chapters. For a more comprehensive review, we've included a multiple-choice test at the end of every chapter as well.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Exam Information
Over 97% of colleges and employers accept the GED high school equivalency credential, and it is recognized in all 50 states. The GED Reasoning Through Language Arts test measures students' abilities in language arts reasoning, science, mathematical reasoning and social studies.
- Question Type: drop-down, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, hot spot and written response
- Time Limit: 150 minutes
- Exam Cost: varies by state
GED Registration and Preparation
You can schedule your GED online, and may take one subject test at a time, in any order you prefer. Costs of taking the GED vary from one state to the next. You can pay for just one subject at a time and retake tests at a discounted price if you don't pass.
Our course includes video lessons in all areas of language arts and helps you track your progress. Each lesson has an accompanying quiz that allows you to measure your grasp of the topics. Through the videos and available text lessons, you can also learn testing strategies and gain practice with some of the same types of questions you might see on test day.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Scoring and Score Reports
The 2014 Language Arts test allows 150 minutes for completion and includes multiple-choice, extended response (essay) and technology-enhanced items, such as those with drop-down selections. The scoring scale for the complete battery reaches from 100 to 200, with the passing standard for high school equivalency set at 145 scaled score points. An honors score is 170 scaled score points or above.
The results of this computer-based test are often available online the same day as testing. After you've passed all 4 subject tests, you'll receive a transcript and diploma that you may use to show schools and prospective employers.
GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Exam is a registered trademark of GED Testing Service, LLC, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Flashcards - GED Reasoning Through Language Arts Test Information
- Flashcards - About the GED: Reasoning Through Language Arts
- GED Practice Test Online with Example GED Practice Test Questions
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- English Language Arts Quizzes
- GED Preparation: How to Study for the Essay Portion of the GED
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Learn English Language Arts
- Language Quizzes
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses