- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 226
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Use the GED Social Studies Prep Course
This course can be found in: GED Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 5 GED study guides, and 300+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryPreparing for the GED Social Studies exam is quick and easy using this complete study guide course. Engaging lessons and mini quizzes are designed to deepen your knowledge of main exam concepts and ensure you're ready to earn a passing score.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
27 chapters in GED Social Studies: Civics & Government, US History, Economics, Geography & World
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This GED Social Studies Study Guide
The GED Social Studies exam is one of four national GED subject tests students must take and successfully pass to earn a GED high school equivalency diploma. This test prep course ensures you have a quality understanding of the Social Studies exam by examining civics and government, U.S. and world history, economics, geography and general social studies skills. In addition to comprehensive lessons, this course offers short quizzes and practice tests to gauge your knowledge of key concepts. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
Check out our GED test prep materials! We've got GED courses to teach you the material, comprehensive GED study guides to help you study, GED practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational GED resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
GED Social Studies Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the GED Social Studies exam, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the GED Testing Service. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Social Studies Reading, Analysis, Writing and Math Skills
- Analyzing the purpose of a text and evaluating an author's point of view
- Evaluating arguments, recognizing biases and using context to determine the meaning of words
- Organizing, focusing and writing a great essay
- Reading scientific graphs and charts and analyzing graphic information inside a text
- Describing the Neolithic Agricultural Revolution, Confucianism, Greek philosophy and the rise and fall of Rome
- Discussing Mayan civilization, the Aztecs, Roman Catholic clergy and Martin Luther
- Explaining the effects of the Scientific Revolution, causes of the French Revolution and factors leading to World War I
- Detailing the Great Depression's worldwide impact, Chinese Revolution and art and culture since 1945
United States History
- Outlining pre-Columbian civilization, the rise of the slave trade and impact of the American Revolution
- Describing the presidential election of 1800, American Civil War, urbanization and Progressive Era
- Discussing the attack on Pearl Harbor, Cold War and Iraq War
Civics and Government
- Defining monarchy, fascism, theocracy and limited government
- Identifying types of democracy and describing the core principles of American government
- Summarizing the Federalist Papers and U.S. Constitution
- Describing federalism, the three branches of government, U.S. political parties and election partisanship
- Explaining civic duty, U.S. citizenship and public policy
- Defining economics and the law of supply
- Detailing the law of demand in economics
- Outlining fundamental principles of the U.S. economy
- Describing cultural diffusion and the five themes of geography
- Explaining how humans impact and have adapted to the environment
- Discussing world population trends, human migration since 1500 and changes in demographic rates
GED Social Studies Course Format
This test prep course breaks down into 26 chapters of 214 bite-sized lessons. Each lesson is accompanied by a self-assessment quiz, giving you the opportunity to check your knowledge upon completion.
GED Social Studies Exam Information
- Question Type: drag-and-drop, multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank and hot spot
- Time Limit: 70 minutes
- Exam Cost: varies by state
GED (General Educational Development) is a registered trademark of the GED Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- GED Study Guide Flashcards
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Earn Your GED Online: GED Exam Information
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- GED Study Guide Information on the Internet
- GED Social Studies: Essay Skills
- GED Social Studies Test Information
- GED Social Studies: Analyzing Texts
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- GED at Home: Home Study GED Options
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses