- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 120
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Course SummaryTake General Chemistry for Teachers to earn 3 college credits to apply toward your licensure renewal requirements. Learn with fun and engaging science video lessons that you can watch around your teaching schedule.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your teaching license with General Chemistry for Teachers. Brush up on science topics so you can better teach chemistry, biology, health and other sciences. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn science credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about chemistry and the periodic table.
- Check your knowledge of things like thermodynamics and chemical bonding.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert science instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the CLEP Chemistry exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. CLEP credits are accepted by over 2,900 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
General Chemistry for Teachers is ideal for any teacher looking to earn credits to use toward licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Science and health teachers who want to brush up on chemistry
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging chemistry videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a chemistry unit or course
- Aspiring science teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make chemistry easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert chemistry instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review chemistry terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn chemistry credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Pathophysiology for Teachers, Microbiology for Teachers, and Biology for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in chemistry as well as biology, anatomy, physics, and other science topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clicking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete General Chemistry for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Chapter||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||Experimental Chemistry and Introduction to Matter (the metric system, chemistry lab equipment and procedures, matter, chromatography)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||Atoms (atomic number and mass, Avogadro's number, the four quantum numbers)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||The Periodic Table (arrangement of the periodic table, the energy levels of atoms of elements, transition metals)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Nuclear Chemistry (radioactive decay, calculating half-life, applications of nuclear chemistry)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||Chemical Bonding (the octet rule, ions and ionic compounds, London dispersion forces, orbital hybridization)|
|Day 6||Chapter 6||Liquids and Solids (kinetic molecular theory and the properties of liquids and solids, phase diagrams, crystal structures)|
|Day 7||Chapter 7||Gases (kinetic molecular theory and the properties of gases, temperature units, diffusion and effusion)|
|Day 8||Chapter 8||Solutions (rate of dissolution, solubility, calculating molarity)|
|Day 9||Chapter 9||Stoichiometry (chemical equations, calculations involving gases and solutions, hydrates)|
|Day 10||Chapter 10||Chemical Reactions (decomposition, acid-base reactions, the pH scale, combustion reactions)|
|Day 11||Chapter 11||Equilibrium (dynamic equilibrium, using a RICE table, the common ion effect, titration curves)|
|Day 12||Chapter 12||Kinetics (rate of chemical reactions, activation energy, reaction mechanisms)|
|Day 13||Chapter 13||Thermodynamics (state functions, energy transfer, entropy, free energy)|
|Day 14||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for general chemistry|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- North Dakota Teacher Licensure Renewal
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Ohio Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Louisiana Teaching Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Minnesota Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Nebraska Teacher Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Kansas Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Iowa Teacher License Renewal Requirements
- Colorado Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses