- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 120
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Course SummaryAll the chemistry topics covered in a conventional textbook are presented here in a mobile-friendly and convenient resource. Use this textbook replacement course to teach your students about gases, chemical bonding, thermodynamics and more.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches general chemistry can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information found in most general chemistry textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like atoms, chemical bonding, nuclear chemistry and the periodic table are perfect for briefly introducing a general chemistry topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional chemistry textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of chemical reactions, equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online general chemistry textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our General Chemistry Textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring stiochiometry, experimental chemistry and other general chemistry topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like thermochemistry easy to understand.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this general chemistry and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
- Help Students Keep Up: Teachers can assign lessons directly from the course to students who need further help with specific general chemistry topics or who missed class.
- Student Progress Monitoring: Each lesson, chapter and course integrates assessment quizzes and exams that let teachers evaluate the effectiveness of the material and student comprehension of general chemistry topics.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online general chemistry textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in your general chemistry class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings general chemistry lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb general chemistry concepts, groups and periods, reactions and laws.
- Identify the general chemistry topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging general chemistry video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like calorimetry and electrochemistry.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any general chemistry topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our general chemistry course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about calculating enthalpy changes, measuring heat capacity and predicting temperature's effects on spontaneity.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in general chemistry, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this general chemistry course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a general chemistry concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Fundamentals of experimental chemistry and matter
- The basics of atoms
- Elements of the periodic table
- Nuclear chemistry applications
- Chemical bonding compounds and properties
- The various properties of solids and liquids
- Elements of gases
- The fundamentals of solutions
- Stoichiometry calculations, formulas and equations
- The essentials of chemical reactions
- The basics of equilibrium
- Elements of kinetics
- Thermodynamics laws and processes
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Can Open Education Save Students From Expensive Textbooks?
- Build-Your-Own Textbooks Could Save Students Hundreds
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- Skip the Campus Bookstore: New Sources for Student Textbooks
- Promoting Low Cost Textbooks for Community College Students
- Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses