- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 70
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is the GRE?
This course can be found in: GRE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 GRE study guides, and 200+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryBoost your confidence before you sit for the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE General Exam with help from this engaging and user-friendly study guide course. Accessible 24 hours a day, our video lessons are designed by expert instructors who understand this test inside and out. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
We've designed this test prep course to help you review for the Analytical Writing section of the GRE General Exam. Our short video lessons are self-paced, allowing you to review as little or as much information as needed, from planning your essay to writing your essay body. To check your understanding along the way, take the lesson quizzes and chapter tests. The Dashboard is a great way to keep track of your progress through the course and allows you to submit any questions that come up to an instructor. The materials in this course are also mobile friendly so you can study any time that you'd like.
Check out our GRE test prep materials! We've got GRE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive GRE study guides to help you study, GRE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational GRE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
When you work through this study guide course, you'll get a thorough review of information you'll need to know to do well on the exam. The lessons cover grammar usage as well as writing and editing techniques. In addition, this course can help you do the following:
- Craft an argument
- Plan and start your essay
- Write and edit your essay
- Utilize effective writing techniques
- Write stronger sentences
- Use correct grammar
Made up of 54 lessons in 8 concise chapters, the course thoroughly covers the material on which you'll be tested. To be sure you're ready, take the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to identify any areas that might need more work.
GRE Analytical Writing Exam Information
The GRE General exam is intended for candidates looking for admission into business and graduate school. The Analytical Writing portion of the exam tests your analytical writing and critical thinking skills, although it does not test your knowledge of specific content.
- Number of Questions: 2
- Question Type: Analyze an issue, analyze an argument
- Time Limit: 60 minutes (two separately-timed 30 minutes tasks)
- Exam Cost: $205 for entire General Exam
GRE Analytical Writing Exam Preparation & Registration
To help take the stress out of preparing for the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE exam, we've laid out all the topics you'll need to know in this course. Our easy-to-follow video lessons outline the essay planning process, how to craft your argument and essay writing techniques. You'll also find an overview of the GRE exam overall and the Analytical Writing portion specifically.
If you want to take the GRE General Exam, you'll need to set up an account online, pay the required fees and then register for the exam you'd like to take. At this time, you'll be able to select your testing location and time. On test day, candidates are asked to arrive 30 minutes prior to their test time with valid photo identification that matches the name used to set up the test takers' online account. Please note, any personal items brought with you to the exam, such as watches and mobile phones, are not allowed in the testing area.
GRE Analytical Writing is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- How to Reach Out to Your Instructor for Your Online Courses
- Study.com Updates
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Cosmetology Instructor Courses and Classes
- Overview of Courses for CNA Instructors
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses