- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 56
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Course SummaryGet tips for each stage of the career planning process from our experienced guidance counselors and instructors. They'll also explore career development strategies and advancement opportunities for every level of your career.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Our Guide to Career Planning and Development course contains lessons for students and professionals at any career stage. Entertaining video lessons are taught by guidance counselors and instructors who can help you navigate everything from career assessment tools and internships to resume writing and professional development opportunities. You'll also find short quizzes to help you review key concepts covered in each lesson and chapter.
Take a look at the following topics included in this course:
Take your first career planning steps and explore some of the career choices you can make in early adulthood. Our guidance counselors can also introduce you to career assessment tools and help you make the most of job shadowing opportunities, internships and informational interviews to find out which career field is right for you.
Job Search Skills
If you've already decided on a career field, let us show you how to set realistic career goals and land a job. We'll help you navigate job boards, social media and networking sites as well as provide you with instructions for researching the company you're interested in applying to. You can also learn how to create polished resumes and cover letters, avoid common job application mistakes and prepare for job interviews.
Figuring out how to get your foot in the door is only the first stage of the career planning process. Use our lessons on career development to discover how to excel in your new role. Consider the impact of job commitment on your career and get tips for developing your communication, time management and conflict management skills. Guidance counselors also discuss some of the things to keep in mind should you decide to change careers or go back to school and earn a graduate degree.
Take a closer look at the later stages of the occupational cycle and explore strategies for advancing your career. Learn how occupational choice changes with age and examine some of the factors contributing to job satisfaction among older workers. We'll also show you how career expectations can differ for women and minorities and help you take a look at pension plans and other sources of income during retirement.
Use this collection of lessons to learn about:
- Career planning tools and timelines
- Resume writing and interview tips
- Professional development opportunities
- Essential workplace skills
- Career management strategies
- Factors affecting retirement
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Paramedic Career Advancement Opportunities
- Guidance Counselor Requirements and Career Information
- School Guidance Counselor Career Video
- Planning your Career? Explore Career Resources
- Guidance Counselor Graduate Programs with Career Information
- School Guidance Counselor: Career & Education Overview
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Career Advancement in Sonography
- Career Advancement for CNAs
- Career Advancement for LPNs
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses