- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 108
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Types of College-Level Transfer Credit
Course SummaryIn this series of lessons, our instructors guide you through each step of the college planning process. Use the information provided in these lessons to select the college best for your needs and locate scholarships and sources of student aid.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This Guide to College Planning Guidance course will help you make decisions regarding your college education. These short, engaging video and text lessons cover the steps you'll need to take to put your college plans in motion, from considering earning pre-college transfer credits to deciding where to apply to getting your finances in order. A one-size-fits-all college plan will not be right for everyone, so each lesson includes self-assessment questions to help you make the right decisions based on your unique wants and needs.
This course covers topics including:
Pre-college transfer credits
In order to save time and money on your college education, consider earning pre-college transfer credits. In this chapter, we'll go over the limitations when it comes to earning transfer credits and introduce you to the various ways you can test out of college courses.
Features to look for in a college
You want to choose a good college, but what factors should you consider when weighing your options? Learn about the different features you may want to look for in a college, such as school size, costs and accreditation.
Strategies for choosing a college
Deciding on a college is a big decision; what strategies can you use to help you make up your mind? We'll let you know how to research schools and compare them on various aspects. Learn how to find a college that suits your needs and includes all the features that are important to you.
The application process
With all the time and money involved in filling out applications, it can seem like a daunting experience. Let us help you feel a little less intimidated by guiding you through the application process. Discover strategies for managing your time and making your applications stronger.
Ways to finance your education
Attending college is a big expense and, at times, it may feel like you can't afford it. Our experienced guidance counselors let you know about your financial aid options so you can procure all the money you need for college. Discuss some of the different types of financial aid and learn how to apply.
Once you have a college plan in place, it's time to start applying and gathering everything you need to start college. This course will give you advice on:
- Understanding the different types of college transfer credit
- Earning college credits by exam
- Preparing for credit-by-exam tests
- Transferring credits to your college
- Comparing public and private colleges
- Comparing large and small colleges
- Researching and comparing schools without visiting them
- Evaluating a college's academics and student success rates
- Understanding how your school choice can affect your career
- Finding colleges that offer your major
- Deciding where to apply
- Using the common application
- Crafting strong applications
- Determining the real cost of college
- Filling out the FAFSA
- Applying for scholarships
- Studying abroad
- College life and study skills
- and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- College Scholarships for Catholic Students
- Catholic Scholarships for College Students
- Catholic Colleges with the Best Financial Aid
- 25 Grants and Scholarships for College Students
- Financial Aid Options for College Students
- The College Student Guide: Back to School
- Colleges that Offer Merit Scholarships to Transfer Students
- Career Planning for College Students
- College School Codes for Federal Student Aid
- College Lessons Learned Outside the Classroom
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses