- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 28
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is an Athletic Scholarship? - Definition & Benefits
Course SummaryThe video lessons in this course offer useful information from academic and financial advisors on how to obtain athletic scholarships. The lessons here can help you set realistic goals and better utilize your academic and athletic talents.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Reasons Why Athletes Lose Their Scholarships||Take Quiz|
About This Course
It can be difficult to navigate the scholarship application process, let alone understand how athletes are recruited, which is why this Guide to College Recruiting & Athletic Scholarships course can be an important tool for students. The lessons in this course give students step-by-step guidance on how to stand out to recruiters and get the most from an athletic scholarship. All of the videos include easy-to-follow entertaining lessons, and the quizzes encourage retention of the materials.
The lessons have been crafted by seasoned advisors who stay on top of athletic industry trends. Although there are many ways to earn scholarships and to impress sports recruiters, the lessons in this course will help you choose the strategies that work best for you.
Topics covered in this course include:
Athletic scholarship basics
Paying for college is difficult, which is why we want to help you understand how scholarships can finance your education. Discover details about the different types of athletic scholarships, the scholarship application process, and how you are allowed to use the money. Explore the benefits of winning scholarships as early as possible, and identify which factors make you a better scholarship applicant. Determine how scholarships and other forms of financial aid can be used together, and learn about all the different types of financial aid available.
Types of athletic scholarships
Athletes who want to become professional sports stars often pursue athletic scholarships, but there are different types of athletic scholarships you should be aware of. Investigate the differences between athletic scholarships offered by colleges versus those offered by private athletic organizations. Explore the rules of these scholarships, including how the money can be used, academic conduct rules, required sports participation, and reasons a scholarship can be revoked. Determine whether athletic scholarships can be transferred to different universities, and learn how to communicate with coaches about fulfilling scholarship requirements.
Some people think getting recruited for an athletic scholarship is just a lucky break, but we want to show you real-world strategies to attract the attention of a recruiter or scout. Explore what it means to be recruited, and identify recruitment options, including self recruiting and formal recruiting services. Discover how to make yourself more visible to recruiters. Analyze the recruiting process, and develop a plan for preparing yourself early on to be the best recruitment candidate.
Upon figuring out which athletic scholarships are best for your situation, you will need to learn how to make your scholarships work for you and your recruitment goals. This course provides tips for:
- Managing and meeting scholarship deadlines
- Researching different athletic scholarships
- Identifying ways to get on the list for recruitment
- and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How Do I Become an Athletic Trainer?
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Athletic Trainer Course and Class Descriptions
- Online Courses and Classes for Athletic Trainers
- Classes and Courses for Aspiring Athletic Directors
- Become an Academic Advisor: Education and Career Roadmap
- Online Financial Advisor Courses, Classes and Training Information
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Academic Advisor: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses