- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 253
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Course SummaryOur High School Biology homeschool curriculum can explain even the toughest biology topics to your homeschooler in a way that is engaging and easy to understand. Use the assessment quizzes, chapter tests and final exam to ensure that your homeschooler understands the material and meets curriculum standards. Please note: this course will be updated on 1st January 2020. You can find more information by clicking on the 'Syllabus' tab.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Notice of Update:
Please note: this course is undergoing redevelopment, and will be updated on the 1st January, 2020. Improvements include:
- Refreshing lesson and chapter content to align with latest educational material
- Adding student and parent resources to enrich the learning experience, such as creative assignments, discussion questions, essay prompts (with rubrics) and lesson plans.
In order to earn a completion certificate for the current version of this course, you should finish it no later than 31st December 2019.
Why It Works:
- Quality Content: Engaging animations and real-life examples make biology topics easy to grasp for students with multiple learning styles.
- Students Learn Efficiently: The self-based course allows students to learn at their own pace.
- Save Time: Spend less time preparing lessons and more time working with your student.
What You Get:
- Complete Course Library: In addition to High School Biology, your membership includes access to a full high school homeschool curriculum and hundreds of additional courses.
- Online Dashboard: Parents and students can monitor course progress and subject mastery easily.
- Built-In Assessments: Quizzes and practice exams allow students to test their knowledge and parents to monitor mastery.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our expert biology instructors any question about heredity, animal behavior or other high school biology topics. They're here to help!
How It Works:
- Use the video lessons as your primary high school biology homeschool curriculum or as supplemental material.
- Complete each unit at your own pace.
- Watch lessons, reviewing or pausing as often as you need.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Check understanding through lesson quizzes and unit exams.
High School Biology Learning Objectives:
- Define basic science terms.
- Understand lab procedures.
- Review the fundamental principles of organic and inorganic chemistry.
- Examine enzymes and their purpose.
- Explore the structure and function of cells.
- See what biological systems require.
- Learn how cells communicate.
- Examine metabolic biochemistry.
- Gain an understanding of cell division.
- Define nucleic acids and their purpose.
- See how DNA replicates itself.
- Explore the fundamental rules of heredity.
- Learn how and why genes mutate.
- Examine genomics and DNA technology.
- Learn about bacterial biology and viruses.
- Review theories of the origin of the universe and evolution.
- Study the geologic development of Earth.
- See how organisms are classified in biology.
- Review the basics of plant biology, including growth and reproduction.
- Get information on fungi.
- Explore basic facts about vertebrates and invertebrates, including the circulatory, respiratory, endocrine and immune systems.
- Look at how reproduction works in humans.
- See how human actions have affected the environment.
- Get an overview of animal behavior.
- Learn techniques used in a biology lab.
- Review techniques for data analysis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Homeschool Curriculum
- Why I Let My Homeschooler Fail Sometimes
- Career Information for a Degree in Teaching High School Curriculum
- How to Become a High School Biology Teacher
- Online General Biology Course Information
- Systems Biology Course and Class Information
- Home Economics Curriculum with Course Descriptions
- Use Formative Assessments to Better Understand Every Student
- Biology Grad Schools with Program Information
- 7 Ways to End the School Year on a High Note
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses