- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 179
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Branches
Course SummaryHelp your homeschooler understand the most important topics in high school chemistry with this informative homeschool curriculum course. Use the short video and text lessons as a self-contained high school chemistry curruculum, and test your homeschooler's understanding using the multiple-choice quizzes. Please note: this course will be updated on 1st January 2020. You can find more information by clicking on the 'Syllabus' tab.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Gas Laws: Homeschool Assignment|
Notice of Update:
Please note: this course is undergoing redevelopment, and will be updated on the 1st January, 2020. Improvements include:
- Refreshing lesson and chapter content to align with latest educational material
- Adding student and parent resources to enrich the learning experience, such as creative assignments, discussion questions, essay prompts (with rubrics) and lesson plans.
In order to earn a completion certificate for the current version of this course, you should finish it no later than 31st December 2019.
Why It Works:
- Quality Content: Engaging animations and real-life examples make chemistry topics easy to grasp for students with multiple learning styles.
- Students Learn Efficiently: The self-paced course format allows students to learn at their own speed.
- Save Time: Spend less time preparing lessons and more time working with your student.
What You Get:
- Complete Course Library: In addition to High School Chemistry, your membership includes access to a full high school homeschool curriculum and hundreds of additional courses.
- Online Dashboard: Parents and students can monitor course progress and subject mastery easily.
- Built-In Assessments: Quizzes and practice exams allow students to test their knowledge and parents to monitor mastery.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our expert chemistry instructors any question about laboratory experiments, atomic structure, or other High School Chemistry topics. They're here to help!
How It Works:
- Use the video lessons as your primary High School Chemistry homeschool curriculum or as supplemental material.
- Complete each unit at your own pace.
- Watch lessons, reviewing or pausing as often as you need.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Check understanding through lesson quizzes and unit exams.
High School Chemistry Learning Objectives:
- Get an overview of chemistry, including measurement and problem-solving.
- Learn the basics of what goes on in a chemistry laboratory.
- Acquire an understanding of the properties of matter.
- Examine atoms and their components.
- Become familiar with elements and the periodic table.
- Explore the principles of nuclear chemistry.
- Learn the basics of bonding.
- Develop a grasp on phase changes in chemistry.
- Examine the properties of gases.
- Analyze solutions and their properties.
- Define stoichiometry, and learn about chemical equations.
- Look at reactions, bases and acids.
- Define equilibrium and why it's important in chemistry.
- Explore kinetics and its impact.
- Gain an understanding of basic thermodynamics.
- Explore the structure and purpose of DNA and RNA.
- Learn how DNA replicates itself.
- Look at the basic principles of organic chemistry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a High School Chemistry Teacher: Career Roadmap
- High School Courses May Be Lacking in Rigor
- Short Medical Courses in NY with School Information
- Online College Courses for High School Students: Course Overviews
- High School Chemistry Teacher: Job Info & Requirements
- Online Inorganic Chemistry Course Information
- Career Information for a Degree in Teaching High School Curriculum
- Should I Become a High School Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Chemistry Graduate Schools with Program Information
- Integrating Technology in the High School Classroom with Video Lessons
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses