- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 225
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
Course SummaryBring the sciences to life for your homeschooler with this high school physical science homeschool course. Our fun video and text lessons act as a comprehensive study guide your student can access at any time for an enjoyable way to learn more about the physical sciences. Please note: this course will be updated on 1st January 2020. You can find more information by clicking on the 'Syllabus' tab.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Notice of Update:
Please note: this course is undergoing redevelopment, and will be updated on the 1st January, 2020. Improvements include:
- Refreshing lesson and chapter content to align with latest educational material
- Adding student and parent resources to enrich the learning experience, such as creative assignments, discussion questions, essay prompts (with rubrics) and lesson plans.
In order to earn a completion certificate for the current version of this course, you should finish it no later than 31st December 2019.
Why It Works:
- Quality Content: Engaging animations and real-life examples make physical science topics easy to grasp for students with multiple learning styles.
- Students Learn Efficiently: The self-paced course format allows students to learn at their own speed.
- Save Time: Spend less time preparing lessons and more time working with your student.
What You Get:
- Complete Course Library: In addition to High School Physical Science, your membership includes access to a full high school homeschool curriculum and hundreds of additional courses.
- Online Dashboard: Parents and students can easily monitor course progress and subject mastery.
- Built-In Assessments: Quizzes and practice exams allow students to test their knowledge and parents to monitor mastery.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our expert physical science instructors any question about matter, the periodic table or other high school physical science topics. They're here to help!
How It Works:
- Use the video lessons as your primary high school physical science homeschool curriculum or as supplemental material.
- Complete each unit at your own pace.
- Watch lessons, reviewing or pausing as often as you need.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Check understanding through lesson quizzes and unit exams.
High School Physical Science Learning Objectives:
- Learn the basic facts about matter, gases, atoms and atomic structure.
- Review the periodic table.
- Examine chemical bonding and solutions.
- Explore the principles of stoichiometry.
- Become familiar with bases, acids and chemical reactions.
- Analyze the fundamentals of nuclear physics.
- Investigate the laws of motion and force and how they work.
- Learn about work and energy.
- See how sound and light waves function.
- Explore the role of light in physical science.
- Examine electricity, thermal physics and magnetism.
- Become familiar with the basic of organic chemistry.
- Read about the universe and its creation and components.
- Study the Earth, including the atmosphere, the geologic time scale, structure, plate tectonics, minerals, types of rocks, volcanoes, earthquakes and weather.
- Look at water balance and its role in the planet's health.
- Learn about ground water.
- See what hazards can be found on the Earth's coasts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Science Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Courses in the Physical Sciences: Course Descriptions
- Top Schools for Physical Science
- Forensic Science Courses in Oklahoma with School Information
- Life Sciences Schools in Oklahoma with Course and Program Info
- Physical Science Degree Program Information
- Physical Science Major: Information and Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Physical Sciences
- Optical Sciences Degree and Course Information
- Forestry Science Degree and Course Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses