- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 39
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Roots of the Vietnam War: Learning Objectives & Activities
Course SummaryBoost your history knowledge or meet continuing education requirements with our History of the Vietnam War Certificate course. You can earn a certificate in as little as a few weeks just by watching our short video lessons and taking our multiple-choice quizzes.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This History of the Vietnam War Certificate Program course uses short, engaging video lessons to teach you all the important aspects of the Vietnam War. Earn your certificate in the history of the Vietnam War in as little as five days. Watch these quick, modular videos to find out about Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh, Eisenhower's foreign policy in Southeast Asia, American involvement in the Vietnam War, Nixon's secret bombing of Cambodia, the My Lai massacre and post-war issues.
Who's This For?
Anyone who wants to learn more about the history of the Vietnam War may consider enrolling in this course. This course may be especially appropriate for history teachers, museum docents and curators, bloggers and history buffs who would like to brush up on their knowledge of the Vietnam War.
No prerequisites are required for enrolling in this History of the Vietnam War course. Start learning about the Vietnam War today!
Benefits of the Certificate
Earning a certificate in the history of the Vietnam War can demonstrate to others that you've mastered an understanding of the major events of the Vietnam War. This can have a number of benefits in the professional arena. For instance, earning this certificate can enable you to:
- Showcase your proficiency in Vietnam War and U.S. foreign policy topics to current and future employers
- Demonstrate to employers your desire to continue your education and explore new topics
- Enhance your social interactions and conversations with co-workers and peers
- Meet continuing education requirements
- Help tutor students who are learning about the Vietnam War
- Expand your knowledge of this critical event in U.S. and world history
History of the Vietnam War Program Breakdown
Roots of the Vietnam War
In this chapter, you'll review the historical context of Indochina from 1900 to 1945. You'll learn how Ho Chi Minh rose into power and how the movement for Vietnam's independence began. The chapter discusses how America first became involved in Indochina and revisits the First Indochina War.
Unrest in Vietnam During the Eisenhower Years
This chapter exposes you to Eisenhower's foreign policy in Southeast Asia and discusses Ngo Dinh Diem's strategies for combating the Viet Cong. You'll learn about the creation of the Ho Chi Minh Trail and early guerilla strikes.
John F. Kennedy and the Vietnam War
Understand how President Kennedy's advisors contributed to shaping policy during the early stages of the Vietnam War. Learn why America became increasingly involved in Vietnam and study how events such as the assassinations of Kennedy and Diem affected the war.
Lyndon B. Johnson and the Vietnam War
Learn about the Gulf of Tonkin crisis and resolution and the revolving door of leadership in South Vietnam following Diem's assassination. Take a look at Johnson's reasons for deploying American combat troops and his military strategies for defeating North Vietnam.
The Vietnam War During the Nixon Years
Understand Nixon's plan to withdraw American troops after completing this chapter. Learn about American dissent against the war and the formation of the Paris Peace Accords.
Major Battles and Offensives of the Vietnam War
This chapter covers many of the important battles of the Vietnam War, including the Battle of Ap Bac and the battle for the la Drang Valley. You'll also be exposed to the major operations and offensives of the war, such as Operation Masher/White Wing, Operation Junction City, the Tet Offensive and the Easter Offensive.
The Vietnam War After American Involvement
Learn how North Vietnam's violation of the Paris Peace Accords ultimately led to the fall of Saigon. Find out how communism spread during the Vietnam War and take a look at major post-war issues.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- History Quizzes
- Epidemiologist Certification and Continuing Education Information
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- World History Quizzes
- American History Quizzes
- Certification Requirements to Become an Education Administrator
- History Videos
- Online Continuing Education Courses: Overview and Requirements
- American History Education Options: Degree and Certificate Program Info
- Fire Inspection Certification and Course Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses