- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 386
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Biology: The Study of Life
Course SummaryExpand upon the topics covered in your Holt McDougal Modern Biology textbook with our flexible and mobile-friendly textbook companion course. Our easy-to-follow video and text lessons align with the chapters in your book so you can review the tougher subjects with ease and get a better grade in class.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Echinoderms: Traits, Types & Roles||Take Quiz|
|Lesson 2 - Deuterostomes: Definition and Characteristics||Take Quiz|
Who's it for?
Anyone enrolled in a class using the Holt McDougal Modern Biology textbook should consider this companion course. You will learn the material faster, retain it longer and earn a better grade.
How it works:
- Identify the chapter in your Holt McDougal Modern Biology textbook with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding chapter within our Holt McDougal Modern Biology textbook companion course.
- Watch fun videos that cover the modern biology topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Why it works:
- Fun Content: These videos make learning modern biology fun with engaging animation and real world examples.
- Great Instructors: The lessons use exceptional educators who can take concepts like cellular respiration and make them easy to understand.
- Multiple Ways to Learn: Watch videos or read the lesson transcript.
- Easy to Use: Access this textbook companion on any smartphone, tablet or laptop.
Students will learn topics including:
- The scientific method and experimental design
- Chemical bonds and chemical reactions
- Organic functional groups
- Cell organelles
- Active and passive transport in cells
- Cellular respiration
- Cell reproduction
- The structure of DNA and DNA replication
- Gene expression
- Inheritance patterns
- Gene technology
- The history of life
- The theory of evolution
- The formation of species
- Population growth
- Species interactions
- Types of biomes and ecosystems
- Human impact on the environment
- Biology of prokaryotes
- Plant evolution and classification
- Plant reproduction
- Classification of animals and their characteristics
- Animal behavior
- The body's systems
Holt McDougal Modern Biology is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Online Molecular Biology Course and Class Reviews
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- Enter To Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- Skip the Campus Bookstore: New Sources for Student Textbooks
- Top Tips to Save Money on Your College Textbooks