- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 39
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How Much Does Your School Choice Affect Your Career?
Course SummaryLearn how to choose the career path that best suits your interests, aptitudes and compensation goals with this study course written by professional guidance counselors. These video lessons and self-assessment quizzes can help you to identify the main things you need to look for when considering a career.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This How to Choose a Career guidance course can give you the information and tools that you need to make important decisions about your career. The concise, informative video lessons focus on each step needed to select a career path, and knowledgeable guidance counselors can provide real-life advice and considerations. You can further test your understanding of the material with self-assessment questions. There are many career possibilities available to each student, but this course can help you decide on the right job that best matches your talents, ambitions and interests.
The topics explored in this course include:
You want to choose a career that best aligns with your personality and strengths. Learn about some common personality career assessments, like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), as well as other skill-based career assessments. These tests can help you decide what field and type of work you're best suited for.
Once you decide the general field you'd like to work in, whether it's technology or the humanities, you'll want to find a major that complements your chosen line of work and can help you score a job. The chapters explore many different careers you might enter with assorted types of majors. You can also read up on whether graduate education is a must for increasing your job prospects.
Although a good salary is an important consideration when deciding on a career, a big paycheck isn't necessarily everything. This course can provide you with the tools to see which jobs 'pay' the most by weighing potential salaries against the time and money it takes to receive an education and earn a position.
After you've figured out which career is the one for you, you'll have to apply for these jobs. Our guidance counselors can give you advice on:
- Weighing the benefits and costs of a certain job
- Researching job postings online
- Attending career fairs
- Finding an internship
- Acing your job interview
- Networking with those in your field
- And more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Self-Assessments for Choosing a Career Path Video
- School Guidance Counselor Career Video
- Guidance Counselor Requirements and Career Information
- Guidance Counselor Graduate Programs with Career Information
- School Guidance Counselor: Career & Education Overview
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Why Choose Nursing As a Career? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Written Communications Professional: Career Information
- High School Guidance Counselor Education Requirements and Career Info
- Guidance Counselor Career Options, Duties and Salary Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses