- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 46
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Pros and Cons of Attending Community College
Course SummaryBefore choosing a college, review this course written by an experienced guidance counselor to help you choose which colleges to apply for. These short video lessons will help you make an informed decision based on your educational goals.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Our How to Choose a College guidance courses provide students with the information they need to make informed, life shaping decisions about their educational future. Each short, engaging video lesson addresses a distinct piece of school choice criteria and provides relevant knowledge and advice from experienced guidance counselors. Students are also given questions for self-assessment. No one college path is right for everyone, but the lessons in this course are designed to help you make the decisions for you.
Topics covered in this course include:
Higher education is an investment and we want to make sure you get the most for your money. Learn how to determine which type of college (2 year, public, private, etc.) is the best fit for your financial situation. Find out how to make a college decision that will reduce your student debt by learning about credit by exam, transfer credits, scholarships and financial aid and much more.
Just because a college has a high ranking doesn't make it the best fit for you. Learn what criteria to consider when finding a college that's right for you academically, including available fields of study, types of academic support services offered, and number of research opportunities.
Academics and affordability are top considerations, but it's also worth thinking about how a school fits your life and personality. Do you want to attend a college near your home? Are you looking for a large or small institution? Are you hoping to get involved with clubs or on-campus government? Learn how to find schools that offer what you want.
Once you've determined which colleges are right for you, you'll need to apply. This course offers advice for:
- Determining how many schools to apply to
- Meeting crucial application deadlines
- Understanding the Common Application
- Applying for scholarships and financial aid
- and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Choose Your College Major Video
- Applying to College - Tips for Choosing a College
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Decision Anxiety: How To Choose The Right College for You
- New Online Tool Helps College Women Choose a Major
- Online Colleges with an MA in Educational Administration: How to Choose
- Colleges with Urban Development Courses: How to Choose
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Should You Choose Your College Classes Based on Expense?
- How the New Net-Cost Calculator Can Help Students Make Their College Decisions
- Cooling Science Professions Job Description and Information About the Cooling Science Professions
- Culinary School Top Rated Chef Training Program - Henderson NV
- Deputy Sheriff Job Outlook and Requirements for Becoming a Deputy Sheriff
- Environmental Lawyer Career Information for Students Wishing to Study and Practice Environment Laws
- Computer Networking Schools in Minnesota
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses