- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 45
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
Course SummaryThis series of video lessons contains advice from experienced guidance counselors on how to choose a career path. Use these lessons to assist you in choosing and meeting your career goals.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This How to Find a Career Path guidance course helps students create realistic career goals. Our lessons include advice on career plans, majors and career success. Not only will you receive advice from experienced professionals, you'll be given self-assessment questions to help you make major life decisions regarding your career path. Everyone will have different post-graduation expectations and goals, and these lessons are designed to help you come up with the best plan for your unique situation.
This course covers topics such as:
Which careers fit your personality and interests best? Which are most compatible with your values and skill set? We'll introduce you to different types of career assessments to help you find the most fulfilling career based on what's important to you.
Because it is such a life-altering decision, finalizing your career plans can feel intimidating. Let our engaging video lessons help you come up with a career planning timeline and assist you in setting your career goals so you can feel more prepared to embark on your career path.
The best majors for your career path
The first step to getting prepared for your career is often deciding on a major. See tips for choosing a major, and learn what to do if your major and career choice are incompatible.
How to research career paths
You have a few career choices in mind, but you're having a tough time coming to a final decision. How can you get further information about these careers so you can decide which is best for you? The lessons in this chapter will introduce you to different tools and theories for researching careers.
Career success tips
You're finally ready to begin working in your career, but how can you ensure that you enjoy success? Let us teach you some tips for succeeding in your career, from perfecting your resume and acing your interview to managing your career. You'll have the tools you need to thrive in your professional life.
After determining your career path, you'll need to take the first step toward your career goals. This course will help you:
- Understand how to use personality, interest, skill-based and value-based career assessments.
- Come up with a career planning timeline.
- Identify opportunities for career growth and advancement.
- Find a career mentor.
- Make realistic career goals.
- Choose a major.
- Use online career research tools.
- Make the most out of career fairs, job shadowing experiences and internships.
- Understand how to change careers.
- Create an effective resume and cover letter.
- Research potential employers.
- Prepare for a job interview.
- Respond to job offers.
- Manage and develop your career.
- and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Self-Assessments for Choosing a Career Path Video
- School Guidance Counselor Career Video
- How Do I Choose a Career Coach?
- Tips for Choosing a Career
- Guidance Counselor Requirements and Career Information
- Guidance Counselor Graduate Programs with Career Information
- School Guidance Counselor: Career & Education Overview
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Expert Advice From Career Counselor Patrick Chidsey at the University of Washington
- High School Guidance Counselor: Job Outlook and Career Profile
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses