- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 25
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Job Interviews: Types & Common Questions
Course SummaryGet helpful interviewing tips and strategies you can apply to your next job interview with the video lessons in this short course. Let our guidance counselor experts guide you through the interview process so you'll know how to be ready, what to expect, and how to follow up in order to land the job.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This How to Prepare for a Job Interview guidance course provides helpful job interview strategies so students can feel more confident that they will land a job in the field of their choice. Our short, engaging video lessons cover interview tips and tricks to help you wow potential employers. Self-assessment questions will let you know if you're ready for the big day or if you need to prepare more. We can't guarantee that you'll get the job, but these lessons are designed to help you sell yourself the best you can at your interview.
This course discusses topics like:
Job interview types
Before you can effectively prepare for your job interview, you have to know what type of interview you will be going in for. Will it be an informational interview, a competency-based interview or some other type? The lessons in this chapter will show you examples of different types of interviews and let you know what you can expect from each type.
You've landed a job interview, but are having a lot of doubts as to whether the employer will like you. How do you begin preparing for the interview? Our guidance counselors will cover common job application and interview mistakes, as well as provide several tips for standing out during your interview.
Public speaking is a dreaded subject for many, but it can actually have many useful applications when it comes to job interviews. Learn tips for managing your anxiety and becoming a better listener. Become familiar with persuasion techniques and use them to convince the interviewer that you're right for the job.
After the interview
Once the interview's over, it may not be the wisest strategy to sit back and wait for the employer to get back to you. These video lessons will show you how to keep in touch, make professional connections and negotiate potential job offers.
Once you feel well-versed in job interview tricks and strategies, it's time to set the date for your interview. This course includes advice on:
- Common job interview questions
- Advantages of job shadowing
- Competency-based interviews
- Researching potential employers
- Creating resumes and cover letters
- Avoiding job application mistakes
- Avoiding interview pitfalls
- Using public speaking as a method of communication
- Focusing on an audience when speaking
- Effective listening strategies
- Being a persuasive speaker
- Preparing impromptu speeches
- Networking in your career
- Following up after an interview
- Responding to job offers
- Opportunities for career growth and advancement
- Finding career mentors
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Dress for a Job Interview Video
- Following Up After a Job Interview Video
- Tips for Making the Best Impression at a Job Interview Video
- How to Perform Your Best in a Job Interview Video
- How to Predict Job Interview Questions Video
- Going Back for a Second Job Interview Video
- Preparing Answers for a Job Interview Video
- Performing Well in a Team Job Interview Video
- 45 Proven Job Interview Techniques for Landing Your Next Job
- Land Your After College Job by Nailing Interview Questions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses