- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 54
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Patterns of Writing Development for Children
Course SummaryThis course can help teachers who are looking for information about the process of learning to write and effective strategies for teaching students how to write effectively. These engaging videos contain teaching strategies and activities that you can implement into your writing curriculum.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course has been designed by educators to provide helpful resources for teachers working with students who are beginning the writing process. Along with delivering techniques to teach actual writing skills, our educators will walk you through important steps of the learning process, including fostering an effective educational environment and providing sufficient feedback to students.
How It Works
Our educators have provided you with several methods to most effectively retain the information provided in this course. Each chapter contains video lessons and quizzes to assess your application of the knowledge.
This course includes the following:
- Video lessons for visual learning of teaching methods
- Handy timelines below each video so you an easily access a specific portion of the lesson
- Transcripts of the video lesson for text-based learning
- Self-assessment quizzes to test how well you can apply the skills taught in each lesson
- Exams at the conclusion of each chapter on techniques to most effectively teach students to write
- A final course exam to test your understanding of the teaching methods
How It Helps
- Demonstrates learning methods: Utilizing the video lessons will help teachers develop effective strategies to teach students the writing process.
- Provides teaching resources: Educators can find specific techniques and activities they can use to cultivate students' writing skills.
- Enhances performance: This course will help teachers create a well-rounded, effective writing environment that will improve student achievement.
|Beginning To Write|| Student writing development |
Early forms of writing
Evolution of spelling
|Activities for Teaching Writing|| Writing and vocabulary teaching techniques|
Critical thinking and collaboration
Effective writing techniques and activities
Conceptualization and understanding
|Teaching the Writing Process|| The writing process|
Prewriting and paragraph strategies
Writing organization and grammar
|Creating a Writing Environment|| Establishing a supportive & respectful environment|
Culturally responsive teaching
Creating a challenging environment
|Planning The Writing Curriculum|| Strategies for developing curriculum|
Techniques for gauging understanding
Curriculum guides and models
Teaching students at different levels of development
|Providing Effective Feedback|| Writing conferences|
Feedback techniques for writing samples, grammar and mechanics
Peer feedback strategies
|Assessing Student Writing|| Different types of assessments|
Assessing the quality of your assessments
Gauging the product and the process
Developing a grading rubric
Strategies for students to assess their own writing
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Co-Teaching Strategies That Were Effective in My Classroom
- Here's How I Implemented a Reciprocal Teaching Strategy in My Classroom
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- ESL Teaching Strategies for ESL Students
- Teaching Students with Disabilities: Strategies for Regular Classrooms
- Active Learning | Definition & Strategies for Teachers
- Teaching Strategies | Instructional Strategies & Resources
- How to Write an Effective Admissions Essay Video
- Substitute Teaching Video: Becoming a Substitute Teacher
- Distance Learning Teacher Video: Educational Requirements for Teaching Over the Internet
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses