- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 49
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How Much Does Your School Choice Affect Your Career?
Course SummaryThese video lessons show you how to make a smooth transition between colleges, using tips from experienced guidance counselors and advisers. The videos and self-assessment quizzes can guide you in making a solid decision about your educational future.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This How to Transfer Colleges guidance course provides students with the information needed to make informed decisions about moving from one school to another. These brief video lessons cover topics that a student who plans a school switch should know, such as how to transfer credits. By listening to our expert guidance counselors and academic advisers, you should be well-equipped to choose your best options in regards to college transfers.
This course covers topics including:
We've all heard that some majors or degrees from some schools carry more weight than other, but is that necessarily true? Find out if school choice impacts your future career prospects.
In this chapter, our experts take you through various degree programs (such as fine arts, engineering, the humanities and social sciences) and explore your career options. You'll learn what these degrees entail and also get some tips on preparing for medical school or law school.
Characteristics of colleges
Each college has its own factors that make it unique. This chapter's lessons detail considerations such as location, graduation rates and accreditation. You'll also learn how to find colleges that will accept alternative transfer credits, which can be earned in a variety of ways.
Before thinking about a transfer, you'll want to know what it is you're looking for in a school. Let our experts help you figure out what's important, including how to find a school that's a good social fit. You'll also learn tips for efficient researching into these college options.
How to apply
Get information on the application process, including the importance of meeting deadlines. Find out tested methods of putting together an impressive application package.
Take your credits with you
Don't lose academic credits when you transfer to another college. Learn about various types of credits and why some schools may not accept credits from other institutions. See how to take tests in order to earn credits.
How to pay for college
Costs are an important consideration when choosing a school for transfer. These lessons discuss work/study programs, applying for scholarships and government financial aid.
After deciding on changing schools, you'll need to research your options and make sure your credits will transfer. This course offers information on:
- Evaluating college choices
- Exploring the school's social life
- Investigating transfer agreements between schools
- Getting credit through exams
- Examining financial aid packages
- and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- School Guidance Counselor Career Video
- When to Use a Self-Assessment With Your Job Search Video
- Self-Assessments for Choosing a Career Path Video
- Guidance Counselor: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Tips for Making the Best Impression at a Job Interview Video
- Tips for Submitting Your Resume Video
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Make Your College Application Stand Out Video
- How to Become a Certified Guidance Counselor
- How to Become a School Guidance Counselor
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses