- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 33
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Content-Based Instruction: Definition & Example
Course SummaryAre you an educator seeking to enhance your knowledge of content-based instruction? If so, check out this convenient online course to review content-based instructional strategies, methods, preparation concepts and much more.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use the chapters in this course to help you reaffirm what you know or learn new information about teaching second-language acquisition using content-based instruction methods. Review of this material can help you prepare for challenges and develop strategies for ensuring that your students achieve the desired level of success in your classroom.
How It Works
Lessons and quizzes provide brief reviews of topics relating to second-language instruction. Both the lessons and quizzes can be accessed at any time and taken as often as needed to ensure your full understanding of these lessons.
This course includes:
- Short, printable lesson transcripts
- Self-assessment quizzes to help gauge what you have retained from this course
- Online access to instructors to ask questions about any of the lessons you review
- A personal dashboard you can use to track your progress through the course
How It Helps
- Offers effective strategies: Learn to incorporate content-based instruction techniques in your classroom.
- Enhances understanding of language development: Finding out how students develop new language skills can lead you to become a more effective instructor.
- Focuses on student achievement: Adopting the practices discussed in this course can improve your teaching practices and create a more successful learning environment.
|The Content-Based Instruction Method|| Goals of content-based instruction and the importance of content knowledge|
Types of cognition and the social-cognitive learning theory
|Second-Language Acquisition & Instructional Methods|| Stages of development for language and communication skills|
The process and metacognitive skills used in learning a second language
Methods for teaching second language acquisition
The benefits of content-based instruction and comparison to other methods
|Strategies for Content-Based Instruction|| The effects of cognitive academic language proficiency |
Applying experiential learning methods, student-centered instruction, language-related and content-related talk in the classroom
Techniques used to promote critical thinking, vocabulary, and grammar acquisition
|Feedback in Content-Based Instruction|| Written and oral feedback practices|
The role of implicit and explicit error correction in language development
Using peer feedback methods
|Preparing for Content-Based Instruction|| Curriculum planning and development for content-based instruction|
Education and professional development resources for teachers using content-based instruction
Similarities and differences of learning goals and learning objectives
The positive effects of collaboration
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Flashcards - Content-Based Instruction for ELL Students
- Flashcards - Sheltering Content for ELL Instruction
- Saylor.org Student Diary: Online Course Content
- Enhancing Your Instruction with Your Very Own Teaching Style
- Flashcards - CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- Flashcards - MTEL Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- What Is a Content Writer?
- What Is Content Design?
- Flashcards - Promoting Content-Area Knowledge for ELL
- Can Merit-Based Pay for Educators Work?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses