- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 58
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Public Speaking and Why Do I Need to Do It?
Course SummaryLearn how to organize and write a compelling speech with the material offered in this helpful course. These short video lessons cover several types of speeches, as well as speech organization and delivery, and will give you the confidence you need to write your own speeches.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Learn what constitutes an effective speech and the techniques for delivering one through our How to Write a Speech course. These video lessons, averaging about five minutes in length, cover the purposes of public speaking, how to connect with the audience and ways to organize a speech. The quizzes that follow each lesson let you assess your knowledge.
|Effective Public Speaking||Learn about the process of public speaking, persuasive techniques and how to lessen anxiety when making a speech.|
|Speech Types & Purpose||Get information on types of speeches and their purposes.|
|Speaking to Your Audience||Find out about how to focus the speech on a specific audience, ways to adapt to audience response and how to handle a question and answer session after the speech.|
|Speech Research & Support||Explore ways to research a speech, assess the validity of your sources and understand when to cite sources.|
|Speech Organization||See how to choose a topic, compose an introduction, develop ideas and write a conclusion.|
|Preparing & Writing a Speech||Learn to create an outline for a speech, win over an audience to your viewpoint and prepare for a speech with strict time limits.|
|Importance of Visual Aids in Public Speaking||Find out how to use visual aids in public speaking and create an effective PowerPoint presentation.|
|Effective Speech Delivery||Take a look at types of speech delivery, articulation and diction. Learn about the importance of rehearsal.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Speech Classes and Courses Overview
- Speech Therapist Video: Career Options in the Speech Therapy and Speech Pathology Fields
- Parts of Speech Worksheets
- How to Become a Speech Therapist Online
- How to Become a Speech Teacher in Tennessee
- Speech Pathology Courses and Classes Overview
- Speech Therapy Courses and Classes Overview
- Speech Pathology Programs in Illinois with Course Descriptions
- Speech Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Master's Degree in Speech Pathology
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses