- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 295
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Human & Cultural Geography: Definition, Characteristics & Studies
Course SummaryAt a fraction of the cost, our Human Geography textbook course offers all the important subjects you'd expect to find in a traditional textbook. These self-paced video and text lessons are mobile-friendly, flexible and accessible at any time, 24 hours a day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches human geography can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most geography textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like volcanoes and earthquakes are perfect for briefly introducing a geography topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional geography textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of erosion, rock formations and the atmosphere.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online human geography textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like settlement patterns easy to understand.
- Cost Effective: Using our human geography textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring hazardous waste, agriculture and other human geography topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Help Students Keep Up: Teachers can assign lessons directly from the course to students who need further help with specific geography topics or who missed class.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Adaptive Learning: Our fully online textbook courses integrate technology in classrooms to give students an important understanding of geography as well as the technical skills they'll need for their future.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online geography textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in geography class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings geography lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb geography concepts, land resources and solid waste.
- Identify the geography topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging geography video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like domestication and spatial processes.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any geography topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our geography course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about chemical weathering, fossil preservation and groundwater systems.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in geography our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this geography course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a geography concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Cultural and human geography basics
- Earth concepts and facts about the earth
- Geologic time scale
- Plate tectonics theories and processes
- Rocks and minerals
- Mountain building and rock formation processes
- Earthquake causes
- Volcano types and eruptions
- Analysis of the atmosphere
- Storms and weather patterns
- Glacier processes
- Ocean basics
- Erosion and weathering processes
- Balance of water on Earth
- System of ground water
- Language, culture and religion
- Humans and culture
- Population and the environment
- Plant and animal domestication
- Geography and ethnicity definitions
- Land resources
- Types and causes of spatial processes
- Human settlement patterns
- Economic systems
- Geography and economics
- Politics and geography
- The environment and the impact on humans
- Renewable and nonrenewable resources
- Sustainability of the environment
- Agriculture and food
- Hazardous and solid waste
- Analysis of risk in the environment
- Environmental ethics and politics
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- 5 Secrets for Reducing Textbook Costs
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Nicole Allen Takes the Fight for Lower Textbook Costs on the Road
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- Enter To Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Promoting Low Cost Textbooks for Community College Students
- Aerodynamicist Career Salary Education
- Agricultural Equipment Salesperson Employment Info for a Career in Agricultural Equipment Sales
- Digital Art College
- Cosmetic Laser Technician Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming a Cosmetic Laser Technician
- Radiation Therapist Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career in Radiotherapy
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses