- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 95
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Gender Differences: The Nature Versus Nurture Debate
Course SummaryOur Human Growth and Development textbook course uses helpful tools like video lessons and quizzes to teach your students the essential topics they need to know. Our course costs less than a traditional textbook and is offered in a mobile-friendly, flexible online format.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches human growth and development can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most human growth and development textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like the prenatal stages of brain development and cognitive development in adolescents are perfect for briefly introducing a human growth and development topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional human growth and development textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of memory and information processing, multiple intelligences and the stages of language development.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online human growth and development textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our human growth and development textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring Sternberg's Theory of Intelligence, the neonatal environment, Bronfenbrenner's ecological systems theory of development and other human growth and development topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like adult development and the family cycle easy to understand.
- Differentiated Instruction: Lessons give teachers the opportunity to fit each student's individual needs - through video lessons, lesson transcripts and assessment quizzes.
- Blended Learning: All of Study.com's courses are perfect solutions for a flipped classroom environment, blending classroom, digital and mobile learning into one package.
- Help Students Keep Up: Teachers can assign lessons directly from the course to students who need further help with specific human growth and development topics or who missed class.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online human growth and development textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in human growth and development class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings human growth and development lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb human growth and development concepts, approaches and theories.
- Identify the human growth and development topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging human growth and development video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like Perkins' Theory of Learnable Intelligence, infant intelligence and the nativist perspective of language development.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any human growth and development topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our human growth and development course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about theories of moral development, social norms and child creativity.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in human growth and development, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this human growth and development course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a human growth and development concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Point out human growth and development theories
- Differentiate the various methods of research
- Address how genetics can influence development
- Discuss biological factors
- Compare perceptual development and sensory development
- Identify similarities between cognitive and cognition development
- Point out how intelligence develops versus creativity, and vice versa
- Define the stages of language development
- Discover how humans develop social skills
- Study the importance of developing social relationships
- Go over concerns related to atypical development
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- How Online Courses Work Video
- Essential Mobile Apps for Online College Students
- List of Free Online Art Courses, Lessons and Tutorials
- List of Free Online Algebra Courses and Lessons
- List of Free Online Geometry Courses and Lessons
- List of Free Online Calculus Courses and Lessons
- List of Free Online German Courses and Lessons
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses