- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 103
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Course SummaryExplore foundational human resource management principles with this fun certificate course. In just a few weeks, you can earn an Introduction to Human Resource Management Certificate that you can use to boost your resume or online job profile and show your skills to potential employers.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
11 chapters in Introduction to Human Resource Management: Certificate Program
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Take a few weeks to watch our fun and engaging video lessons and you can earn an Introduction to Human Resource Management Certificate. You'll explore the concept of human capital and examine employee rights to privacy and safety. Efficient and entertaining video lessons teach you about the purpose of job design and four methods of job evaluation through dynamic animations that bring these concepts to life.
Who's This For?
Small business owners, administrative professionals, business writers, consultants and those interested in entering the human resources field could benefit from the concepts covered in this course.
Prerequisites aren't needed for this introductory course.
Benefits of the Certificate
Adding this certificate to your resume or LinkedIn profile demonstrates your mastery of human resource management concepts. It can also be a valuable tool in your personal life. You can:
- Show current and future employers your knowledge of HR topics and your interest in staying on top of new developments and laws in the human resource management field.
- Improve your working relationship with your employees if you run a small business.
- Use skills from the course to help you prepare to open a small business and hire employees.
- Meet continuing education requirements.
- Enhance your social interactions.
- Apply knowledge from this course to help you better understand the laws that impact your day-to-day life, such as the Affordable Care Act and Family Medical Leave Act.
Introduction to Human Resource Management Program Breakdown
Overview of HRM Field
Start this course off with a look at the objectives for the human resource management field and some external factors that impact it. Examine the ethical issues associated with human resource management.
Organizational Theories & Human Resources
Get a closer look at some common management theories in this chapter, including the classical scientific school of management, Fayol's theories on worker satisfaction and the human relations movement.
Job Analysis and Design
Explore different types of job design and how jobs are reengineered for continuous improvement in this chapter. You'll also look at analysis and design in performance standardization and the importance of job specifications.
Staffing in Organizations
This chapter teaches you about the hiring process and best practices for terminating employees. You'll study staffing selection methods, termination types and transitional matrices in HR.
Training and Development in Organizations
Learn how to assess an organization's training needs and various methods for training employees in this chapter. Study the purpose for career development and stages of careers. Review some common disciplinary methods.
In this chapter, you'll find out why performance appraisals are used and why they're important. Examine different types of appraisals, some common appraisal methods and reasons for job dissatisfaction.
Employee Compensation Issues
This chapter introduces you to direct, indirect and non-financial compensation strategies along with mandatory and voluntary benefits. You'll look at executive pay trends and compensation equity.
Employment Law & Employee Rights
Examine regulations and requirements for equal employment opportunity and discuss some common rights, such as equal pay, unemployment insurance and workers' compensation. Get an overview of labor relations and the Civil Rights Act.
This chapter teaches you about the National Labor Relations Board, collective bargaining, the unionizing process and bargaining strategies. You'll also look at some trends in labor relations.
International Human Resource Management
In this chapter, discuss the four staffing approaches in a global environment and learn how HR managers interact with host and parent country nationals.
Current Issues and Trends in HRM
Close out the course with a look at diversity in the workplace, some trends in workplace violence, HR information systems and the pros and cons of virtual teams and telecommuting employees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Management: Online Certificate
- Human Resource Management Certificate: Program Overview
- Human Resource Management Certificate Programs in Colorado
- Human Resource Management Certificate Programs in Illinois
- Human Resource Management Certificate Program in Tennessee
- Human Resource Management Course in Connecticut
- Human Resource Management Certificate Program in Miami, FL
- Human Resource Management Certificate Programs in McLean, VA
- Human Resource Management Certificate Programs in Bethesda, MD
- Master of Management: Online Human Resource Management Degree
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses