- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 50
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Human Capital? - Importance to An Organization
Course SummaryLearn more about the world of human resources with this engaging introductory course. The lessons cover the essential employment and management tasks required of a human resource department. Use this resource to boost your HR knowledge for a job or supplement your class studies.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Many people know of human resource departments within their companies but may not know exactly what this area of the workforce entails. With HR 101, your introduction to the world of payroll, staffing and solving internal workplace issues will require less effort than the next time you fill out a job application. Our experts have already done the nine-to-five routine to better prepare you for this class.
When you finish the final lesson, you will fully understand hiring, firing and everything in between, including:
- Training & professional development
- Recruitment & selection
- Compensation methods
|Overview of Human Resources Management||Who are these people, and why am I in charge of them? What exactly is HR, and why does everyone fear it? How does HR help an organization?|
|Job Analysis & Design||How do I attract the right people to this open position? How do I keep my employees happy as well as productive? How do I continue to maintain those same levels of satisfaction and motivation?|
|Employee Recruitment & Selection||How do I make this job sound as appealing as possible? How do I go about hiring someone? What are the best interview techniques when scouting potential new hires?|
|Compensation Methods||What are the differences between hourly and salary, and how do they affect my work in HR? What are some incentives I can provide my employees as part of their compensation package? How does stock ownership work?|
|Employee Training & Professional Development||How do I properly train a brand new hire? What different types of behavioral patterns can I expect out of employees at different stages in their careers? How do I properly reprimand an employee when the situation calls for it?|
|Employer Compliance & Regulations||What kinds of laws govern HR and the rest of the workplace? How has diversity changed the workplace over the years?|
|Employee Separation||How do I properly terminate an employee? What compels an employee to voluntarily leave their job?|
|Internal Human Resource Management||How do staffing approaches differ throughout the world? How does an employee's relocation for a company affect everyone involved?|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Human Resource Management Course in Connecticut
- How Much Do Human Resources Jobs Pay?
- Human Resources Courses in NJ with Class Descriptions
- Human Resource Management Video: Career Options in Human Resources
- Human Resource Management: How to Start a Career in Human Resources
- Top Human Resource (HR) Management Degree Programs in Tucson
- Human Resources Jobs for Extroverts
- Distance Learning Programs in Human Resources with Course Info
- List of Free Online Human Resources (HR) Courses and Classes
- Human Resources: How Does One Become a Human Resource Professional
- Top Ranked University Degree Program in Public Administration - Colorado Springs CO
- Should I Become a Physical Therapist Assistant - Quiz Self-assessment Test
- House Education Committee Approves Merit Pay for Teachers
- Certified Public Accountant Degree
- How to Become an Investment Manager Education and Training Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses