- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 255
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Making the Decision to Have Children
This course can be found in: ILTS Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ ILTS study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this handy study guide to review what you need to know to pass the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Family and Consumer Sciences exam. You'll study relevant facts about human relationships, nutrition, consumerism, housing and more. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
29 chapters in ILTS Family & Consumer Sciences (172): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related ILTS Courses
About This Course
This course contains in-depth lessons that focus on all of the topics addressed on the ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences exam. These lessons provide information about human development, family structures, parenting styles, nutrition and wellness, clothing and housing selection, basic career skills and collaborative and teaching strategies. Each lesson offers expert instruction, term definitions, and illustrations to thoroughly cover each topic. Use your Dashboard to easily track your progress as you move through the course, and take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure what you've learned and identify what you might need to review again.
Check out our ILTS test prep materials! We've got ILTS courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ILTS study guides to help you study, ILTS practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ILTS resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The layout of this study guide is such that it aligns with the content you'll find in the ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences exam. Lessons discuss human developmental stages, aspects of relationships, nutritional care, resource management, home design and careers in family and consumer sciences. Once you have finished this course, you should be able to:
- Detail developmental stages from infancy through adulthood
- Understand types of and conflicts in relationships
- Discuss family systems, relationships, changes and transitions
- Describe parenting styles
- Talk about nutritional care, menu planning, food selection and nutritional deficiencies
- Define consumerism
- Give details about money and resource management
- Name factors influencing housing and clothing selection
- List basic career skills
- Explain careers in family and consumer sciences
- Provide details about collaboration in education
- Use strategies to teach reading and study skills
This course is made up of 28 individual chapters broken down into 246 video and text lessons. You can access the lessons any time, so it's easy to set aside flexible study time that's convenient for your schedule.
ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Information
Illinois uses this content area exam to measure the knowledge of a licensed educator who seeks to teach in the family and consumer sciences area. You must pass this ILTS exam to achieve the credential necessary to reach this goal.
- Number of Questions: 125 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 45 minutes
- Exam Cost: $122
ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Breakdown
|ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences Concept||Chapter Lessons|
|Integrative Nature of Family and Consumer Sciences||68|
|Parenting, Family, and Interpersonal Relationships||42|
|Consumer and Resource Management||56|
|Career and Educational Skills||30|
ILTS Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Preparation & Registration
This study guide offers you the opportunity to build on what you might already know or learn new facts about family and consumer sciences before taking this ILTS exam. You can review the development of children and adults, communication and conflict resolution in relationships, parenthood and parenting styles, healthy lifestyle choices, wellness, and food preparation. You can also study facts about consumer behavior, textiles, interior design, and instructional and collaborative strategies in education.
Registration is easy: simply access the ILTS website and create an account to access registration information. Submit your application and payment of test fees. Once you complete this step, schedule your test date, time and location on the ILTS website. You will receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE to verify your scheduled test. Scheduling is done a first-come, first-served basis.
ILTS is administered by the Illinois State Board of Education through a contract with Pearson VUE; neither is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Family and Consumer Science Courses and Classes
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- PhD Program Guide on Study.com
- Study.com Updates
- Study.com Holiday Gift Guide
- Online Degrees in Family and Consumer Science
- Family & Consumer Sciences PhD Programs
- Top Schools for Human and Consumer Science
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Online Courses and Classes in Family Studies
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses