- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 178
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Noam Chomsky's Theories on Language
This course can be found in: ILTS Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ ILTS study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis study guide covers material you can expect to be tested on when taking the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Reading Specialist exam. Access the course at any time to review literacy, vocabulary and writing topics through a series of lessons and assessment quizzes.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related ILTS Courses
About This Course
You will find that the lessons comprising this course address many of the topics you would encounter when taking the ILTS Reading Specialist exam. These topics include instructional strategies for teaching reading, reading comprehension, vocabulary, phonics, spelling and syntax that you would need to know in order to teach reading and language arts in the state of Illinois. This guide also covers:
- Language and literacy development
- Writing skills development
- Reading program and curriculum design
- Language learning theories
- Reading assessment
- Educational resource management
- Teacher development practices
- Intervention methods in reading
- Educational research methodologies
About the Exam
The ILTS Reading Specialist exam is a content area exam that must be passed by educators seeking licensure as a reading specialist in the state of Illinois. The ILTS Reading Specialist is a computer-based exam consisting of 125 questions and is timed at 3 hours and 45 minutes. There are four content categories, including language, reading and literacy, reading instruction and assessment, reading research and curriculum design, and professional responsibilities and resource management. A score of 240 must be achieved to pass this exam.
Preparing & Registering for the ILTS Reading Specialist Exam
You will find the tools offered in this study guide helpful in preparing for the ILTS Reading Specialist exam. The lessons offer an extensive look at reading, writing and language arts instructional and curriculum design practices in addition to classroom reading techniques, language acquisition, spelling and vocabulary lessons, and assessing reading and literacy levels. Many lessons offer both videos and transcripts and you can test your knowledge of the material covered in each lesson with a self-assessment quiz before moving on to the next topics.
You must create an account through the ILTS website in order to register for this or any ILTS exam. With an account, you can register and pay for any exam. You may also schedule your exam online, for which you will receive a confirmation email.
ILTS is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading & Writing Tests
- ILTS Test Preparation & Resources
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Should I Major in Creative Writing? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- GED Books and Study Materials for Test Preparation
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- How to Study for AP Tests
- Online Reading Specialist Courses and Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses