- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 246
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is a Reading Model? - Definition & Overview
This course can be found in: ILTS Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ ILTS study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this study guide to review basic concepts and teaching strategies in reading, math, science, literacy and history that you would need to know as a special education teacher. You can refer to this course before taking the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Special Education General Curriculum exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
21 chapters in ILTS Special Education General Curriculum Test (163): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related ILTS Courses
About This Course
In this course, you will have the opportunity to review facts and details you would need to be familiar with when teaching general subjects in a special education classroom. You will study strategies for helping students develop skills in reading comprehension and math operations and understand scientific theories, government practices and major historical events. You will gain insight into the process of using educational technology, applying differentiated instruction strategies, meeting educational standards and creating effective special education learning environments. Once you are finished with this guide, you should have a strong understanding of the following as you prepare for the ILTS Special Education General Curriculum exam:
- Literacy learning theories
- Vocabulary development and word analysis
- Instructional strategies for reading comprehension
- Literature forms and literacy instruction
- Reading instruction and assessment practices
- Basics of algebra and geometry
- Math instruction methods for students with learning disabilities
- Measurement, statistics and numeration
- Basics of life, environmental, earth and physical science
- Governmental roles and systems
- Major geographical regions and major historical events
This course was last updated in 2020.
About the Exam
The ILTS Special Education General Curriculum exam is a content-area teacher licensing exam used in the state of Illinois. It is a computer-based exam consisting of 65 multiple-choice questions covering four subareas: Reading and Literacy; Mathematics; Natural Sciences; and Social Sciences. Test-takers are allotted two hours and 45 minutes to complete all sections. A score of 240 must be attained to pass the exam.
ILTS Special Education General Curriculum Exam Preparation & Registration
With this course, you can easily and effectively prepare to answer all questions appearing on the ILTS Special Education General Curriculum exam. This guide contains video and text lessons that address such details as reading development strategies; phonics and word analysis; literary genres; and reading assessment techniques. You will also review math operations and functions; algebra and geometry concepts; units of measurement; and basics of various science topics such as cells, genetics, ecosystems, kinetics, energy, weather, gravity and the solar system. Economics, government offices, world and U.S. history events, major landforms and U.S. geographic patterns are also discussed. In addition, you will review instructional strategies applicable to math, literacy, literature and reading for traditional students as well as students with learning disabilities. Short lessons and 24/7 accessibility from any device make it simple to study whenever and wherever it's most convenient for you. Take chapter and lesson exams and quizzes to measure what you have learned and to determine your readiness to take this ILTS exam.
To register for this or any ILTS exam, you must access the Illinois NES website and create an account to submit all required information and payment of test fees. Once your registration has been processed, you can log into your account and click on 'Schedule' to set a test appointment. Your appointment will be confirmed with an email from Pearson VUE.
ILTS is a trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher in Illinois
- Special Education Licensure in Virginia
- Special Education Licensure in Oregon
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher Online
- Becoming a Special Education Teacher in Tennessee
- Become a Special Education Teacher in Texas
- Becoming a Special Education Teacher in Massachusetts
- Becoming a Special Education Teacher in Maryland
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher in Georgia
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher in Idaho
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses