- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 89
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Competency-Based Education? - Definition & History
Course SummaryUse this informative teacher resources course to review topics related to implementing a competency-based education program. The video and text lessons you'll find here are mobile friendly, accessible 24 hours a day and designed to help you improve your classroom instruction or work towards continuing education requirements.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This interesting course outlines how competency-based education is implemented. You can learn about its basic principles as well as its essential questions, outcomes, theories and approaches before studying lessons that show you how to implement it into your own classroom. Additional chapters cover topics on getting students involved in the classroom, learning tools, creating effective assessments, and using effective rubrics related to competency-based learning. After reviewing each lesson, use the corresponding quizzes to check your understanding of the major concepts.
How It Works
You can access these resources on any mobile phone, computer or tablet for convenient and flexible study wherever you are. As you work through the chapters, take the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to ensure you're on track and comprehending what you're learning. Our instructors are available if you have any questions along the way.
When you take this course, you'll access:
- Text lessons that outline competency-based education in a clear, easy-to-follow way
- Video lessons you can easily navigate for quick review
- Lesson quizzes to help ensure you've understood topics like the backwards design model, blended learning and differentiated learning
- Chapter exams to keep you on track and identify any areas that need more review
- A final, comprehensive exam that covers all the competency-based education topics you've learned in the course
How It Helps
- Simplifies planning: With information about creating assessments, using tools in the classrooms and successful approaches, all the resources you need to implement competency-based education into your curriculum are available in one concise course.
- Provides background: Not only will you learn about how to utilize these concepts, you'll learn the outcomes, background and objectives of using them, giving you a greater understanding into their effectiveness and use.
- Improves student performance: Learning the pros and cons of competency-based education and differentiated learning can help you use the learning process that works best for your students.
- Background and overview of competency-based education
- Objectives, standards and outcomes of competency-based education
- Competency-based approaches and learning theories
- Competency-based instruction curriculum development
- Applying differentiate lessons
- Learning and instruction tools
- Encouraging student involvement in the classroom
- Effective assessments
- Creating and using rubrics
- Competency-based education for career and college readiness
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Architecture Continuing Education Programs and Courses
- Education Requirements to Become a Teacher
- Online Continuing Education Courses: Overview and Requirements
- Top Continuing Education Programs for Teachers - Indianapolis, IN
- Teachers: Continuing Education Programs for the Teaching Professions
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Online TESL Courses and Continuing Education Programs
- Orthodontist Classes, Courses and Continuing Education Programs
- Continuing Education in Florida: Program and Course Overviews
- Continuing Education Courses in Georgia
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses