- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 27
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Curriculum?
Course SummaryUse this informative course to understand how you can use the Understanding by Design framework to develop educational curriculum, student assessments and classroom instruction. Feel free to review our video and text lessons and quizzes at any time on your mobile phone, tablet or computer.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This helpful course explains the fundamentals of the Understanding by Design method. You'll learn how to use the framework for curriculum development, setting instructional outcomes, planning learning experiences and using assessment data in educational planning. All of our lessons are designed by expert educators to give you the information you need to incorporate this instructional framework.
How It Works
This course is mobile-friendly, professionally designed and available for you to access 24 hours a day.
When you take this course, you'll review:
- Short video lessons that contain timelines you can use to jump to key points for easy review of specific concepts
- Text lessons that highlight important keywords and concepts for quick reference
- Lesson quizzes and chapter tests that ensure you've understood the Understanding By Design information you've just learned
- A final exam to help you gauge your readiness to implement these methods into your classroom
How It Helps
- Covers the basics: To ensure you succeed in using the Understanding by Design method, these lessons fully explain the foundational concepts of the framework.
- Gives actionable steps: Not only do you learn about the concepts associated with the Understanding by Design model, our lessons help you plan instruction, develop curriculum and put your knowledge into practice.
- Defines goals: Helps you set clear learning benchmarks so you can assess student progress and achievement.
- Understand the fundamentals of curriculum development
- Review the basics of the Understanding by Design framework
- Use assessment data to guide instructional planning
- Plan successful learning instruction and experiences
- Set up instructional outcomes
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Instructor Uses Study.com's Online Educational Videos to Enhance Classroom Learning Experience for Students
- CAD Drafting and Computer Design Video: Educational Requirements and Career Options
- Use Formative Assessments to Better Understand Every Student
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- List of Free Online Design Courses, Lessons and Tutorials
- Online Ed.D in Educational Leadership - Curriculum & Instruction Degree
- Instructional Design Graduate Courses Overview
- Instructional Design Course and Class Descriptions
- List of Free Guitar Courses and Lessons
- Free Oil Painting Instruction and Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses