- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 132
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide addresses basic concepts and practices in mathematics, reading and writing. The course covers all topics found on the Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) exam and is designed as a study tool for those preparing to sit for this test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
14 chapters in Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA): Test Prep & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
From text analysis to writing processes, this course contains lessons that focus on basic reading and writing processes that meet Indiana state education standards. Lessons also discuss general mathematic and basic algebraic and geometry concepts that also meet these standards. You will review details about essay writing, context, grammar, measurement, statistics and more. Once you have completed your study of this guide, you should have developed a stronger understanding of:
- Word meaning and usage
- Text structure, main point, summary and theme
- Author intent and purpose
- Text analysis methods
- Writing development and aspects of clear writing
- English grammar and mechanics
- Argumentative essay writing
- Numbers and ratios
- Algebraic expressions and geometric shapes and measurement
- Fundamentals of statistics and probability
About the Exam
The Indiana CASA exam is used in the state of Indiana to measure the English and mathematics knowledge of candidates seeking to enter educator preparation programs. This computer-based exam consists of three subtests, which can be taken together or individually: Reading, Mathematics and Writing. The Reading and Mathematics sections contain 40 multiple-choice questions each; the Writing section has 42 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question. Candidates are given 75 minutes each to complete the Reading and Mathematics portions of the exam and 105 minutes for the Writing section. A passing score of 220 on each of the subtests must be attained to pass the entire exam.
Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive study guide offers an effective and thorough means by which to prepare for the CASA exam. Reading and writing topics covered in this course include word meaning; main idea, theme and structure in text; point of view; inference, assumptions and drawing conclusions; writing organization, along with paragraph structure and tone in essays. Other areas of emphasis include revising and editing processes; spelling, capitalization, verbs, nouns and pronouns; and aspects of writing argumentative essays. You will also find lessons addressing such math topics as rational numbers; fractions; math operations; ratios and proportion; algebraic expressions; properties and measurements of shapes; calculating mean and median; and probability in math. Text and video lessons are conveniently accessible 24/7 from any device, making it easy to study when it's best for you. Print lesson transcripts for quick reference purposes and contact expert instructors with any questions using a simple online contact form. Lesson quizzes and chapter exams are handy assessment tools that help you discover whether you fully understand these concepts before you take the CASA exam.
Registering for the CASA exam entails creating an account on the Indiana core assessments website. Once you submit requested information and payment of fees via a VISA or MasterCard debit or credit card, you can then schedule your test date and site. Confirmation of your test will be sent via email. You must present proper identification when entering the site on the day of your exam.
The Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment exam was developed by the Indiana Department of Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Kindle Found Lacking As Study Tool
- What Are the Praxis Core Academic Skills Tests?
- Indiana Core Assessments for Educators
- Flashcards - Basic Reading & Writing Skills
- Flashcards - About the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test
- Flashcards - About the Praxis Reading Core Academic Test
- Flashcards - NMTA Essential Academic Skills Reading: Assessment Types
- Flashcards - NMTA Essential Academic Skills Reading: Assessment Analysis
- Flashcards - NMTA Essential Academic Skills Reading: Assessment Planning
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Financial Planning Career
- Nursing Schools in Mississippi
- Top School for an Information Technology Degree - Maitland FL
- Behavior Therapist Job Outlook and Information for a Career in Behavior Therapy
- Music Video Directing Professions Job Outlook and Information About Starting a Career As a Music Video Director
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses