- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 100
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is an Information System?
Course SummaryYou can earn an information systems and computer applications certificate in about two weeks by completing this engaging course. With your certificate, you'll have an advantage as you continue on in your education or pursue a job in this industry.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
11 chapters in Information Systems and Computer Applications: Certificate Program
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
You can earn an Information Systems and Computer Applications Certificate by spending just a few short weeks studying with our quick and concise video lessons that bring business info systems concepts to life. You'll learn how to map code using flow charts and solve problems using artificial intelligence or expert systems.
Who's This For?
Business professionals, small business owners, writers, teachers and consultants who need to stay up-to-date on business info systems concepts will find this course useful. Anyone considering entering the business field or pursuing computer applications careers can use this course to decide if this field is right for them.
Prerequisites aren't needed for this introductory course.
Benefits of the Certificate
This certificate can help you in your current job or if you're looking to move into this field. You can use it to:
- Showcase your mastery of critical concepts in information systems and computer applications by adding this certificate to your online profile or resume
- Demonstrate your skills in this area to make your resume more appealing to current and potential employers
- Fulfill continuing education requirements with this certificate course
Information Systems and Computer Applications Program Breakdown
Information Systems in Organizations
Start off this course with a look at the components and major resources of information systems as well as the market advantages that result from info systems.
Hardware and Systems Technology
This chapter teaches you about computer system components, including computer memory, storage devices, and input and output devices.
Systems Software and Application Software
You'll learn about operating system functions and application software that's used for personal, enterprise and workgroup purposes. Desktop publishing, presentation software and communication software are just some of the concepts addressed here.
Internet, Intranet and Extranet
In this chapter, learn about web page design, programming languages and IP addresses. You'll study Internet communication and collaboration, connectivity and communication standards.
Network Systems Technology
Explore telecommunications systems in this chapter, which teaches you about client/server and mainframe systems, distributed processing, wireless communication and organizational connections.
Enterprise Business Systems
This chapter provides lessons on enterprise software for business applications, enterprise resource planning and customer relationship management. You'll study supply chain and knowledge management and electronic data interchange.
Decision Support Systems and Specialized Information Systems
You'll learn about decision making and problem solving processes in this chapter, which includes instruction on management info systems, business intelligence, group decision support systems and statistical analysis.
In this chapter you'll study the eight steps to systems development and phases of the software development life cycle. Learn about application development processes and project management tools.
This chapter teaches you about database structures and concepts, database management systems and relational databases. You'll learn about structured query language, data mining and cloud computing.
Business, Social, and Ethical Implications and Issues
You'll study privacy concerns, intellectual property, consumer privacy, and computer security and threat prevention. Virtual teams, globalization and outsourcing are also covered here.
Introduction to Programming
Close out the course with lessons on gathering user requirements, using validation tools, mapping code and using pseudocode. You can learn about the five programming elements, steps for writing a program and programming languages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Epidemiologist Certification and Continuing Education Information
- Computer Information Systems Certification Program
- What You Should Know Before Pursuing a Special Education Certification
- Computer Information Systems (CIS) Certification: Certificate Overview
- Computer Information Systems Degree and Certificate Programs
- System Administrator Certificate Programs with Course Information
- Computer Information Systems (CIS) Certification Program Overview
- Computer Systems Analyst Certification and Certificate Programs
- Computer Tech Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional: Certification & Job Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses