- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 46
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Teach Reading: Planning and Execution
Course SummaryOur course on instructional strategies for teaching reading comprehension offers you an excellent and effective way to gain new teaching ideas and strategies. Use the wide range of tools presented to you in this course to enhance and improve your instructional skills for reading and vocabulary.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The instructors who designed this course kept your needs as a teacher in mind. You'll find lessons on teaching children how to read, building vocabulary and different challenges students face that can affect reading skills. Through this course, you will review old ways and discover new ways to increase reading skills and reading comprehension for your students.
How It Works
We understand the demanding schedule you have as an educator. Our lessons are short and engaging for your convenience. Also, our course is mobile friendly allowing you to access it at home or on-the-go anywhere you can get internet access. In this course you will benefit from the following:
- Video lessons no longer than 10 minutes each that cover different reading strategies
- Fully written transcripts accompanied with the video lessons to give you different studying choices
- A timeline feature that allows you to skip around each video lesson to areas you want to focus on more
- Quizzes and chapter tests that give you immediate feedback so you know how much you are retaining from the course
How It Helps
- Reviews various instructional strategies: In this course, you will refresh your knowledge of different strategies you can use to promote reading skills in your classroom.
- Identifies potential issues: This course covers information about what roadblocks students can face when trying to develop their reading skills and how to remedy those issues.
- Builds a foundational skill: Refresh your knowledge on one of the foundational skills that your students will need to know in your classroom and in their future education.
|Teaching Children to Read||Analyze the various steps and methods that are used to teach children how to read.|
|Teaching Vocabulary||Comprehend the importance of building vocabulary with students in order to enhance their reading skills.|
|Building Reading Comprehension||Study information about reading comprehension and why it is important for students to understand what they are reading.|
|Factors Impacting Reading Skills||Identify various struggles students can face when they learn how to read and increase their reading comprehension, then take a look at how to decrease and eliminate those struggles.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Teaching Strategies | Instructional Strategies & Resources
- Co-Teaching Strategies That Were Effective in My Classroom
- Reading Comprehension | A Guide for Teaching Reading
- Enhancing Your Instruction with Your Very Own Teaching Style
- Reading Comprehension Strategies & Resources for All Teachers
- Teaching Courses in New Jersey with Course Descriptions
- How to Differentiate Instruction | Strategies and Examples
- CAD Instruction Courses and Classes
- Teaching Credential Classes and Courses
- Business Strategy Course Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses