- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 101
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Read Notes on the Treble Clef Staff
Course SummaryRefresh your music knowldege as you prepare to earn credits to apply towards licensure renewal with this easy-to-follow Intro to Music for Teachers professional development course. Our video and text lessons are mobile-friendly and accessible at any time so you can study at your convenience.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your music teaching license with Intro to Music for Teachers. Brush up on music topics so you can better teach music, sociology and other related subjects. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn music credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about the elements of music and various types of music.
- Check your knowledge of things like melody and harmony with practice exams and quizzes.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert music instructors.
- Earn three college credits by taking the UExcel Intro to Music exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. UExcel credits are accepted by over 1,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Intro to Music for Teachers is ideal for any teachers looking to earn credits to use towards licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Fine arts teachers who want to brush up on music
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging music videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a music unit or course
- Aspiring music teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make music easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert music instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review music terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn music credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including American Literature for Teachers, Human and Cultural Geography for Teachers, and Biology for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in music as well as literature, biology, mathematics, and other topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clicking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Intro to Music for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Chapter||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||Elements of Music (note reading on the treble and bass staffs, timbre of singers and instruments, rhythm, musical form)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||Opera and Orchestral Music (opera terms, vocal parts, instrument sections, orchestral music throughout history)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||Medieval Music (definition of medieval music, church music, singing, composers)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Renaissance Music (madrigals, sacred and secular music, dance music)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||The Baroque Period in Music (the organ, the harpsichord, composers, types of music, patronage)|
|Day 6||Chapter 6||The Classical Period in Music (musical form, the piano, the symphony, important composers)|
|Day 7||Chapter 7||Modern Era Music (atonal music, experimental music, composers)|
|Day 8||Chapter 8||Jazz Music (elements of jazz, important musicians)|
|Day 9||Chapter 9||Musical Theater and Popular Music (important composers and their works)|
|Day 10||Chapter 10||Rock Music (history of rock, major performers, instruments)|
|Day 11||Chapter 11||World Music (music from various regions of the world and its characteristics)|
|Day 12||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for intro to music|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- How to Earn Credits Towards Your Degree Before You Even Start School
- Music Video Director Courses and Classes
- Music Professions Video: Becoming a Professional in the Musical Arts
- Music Video Editing Classes and Courses Overview
- Music Schools: How to Become a Professional Musician
- Music Lessons for Non-Musicians
- How Do I Earn Credit Through Study.com?
- Music Video Producers Employment Information
- How to Become a Music Video Director: Career Roadmap
- Physical Therapy Assistant Programs in Oklahoma
- 40 of the Best Websites for Young Writers
- Top School for a Bachelor of Computer Information Systems Degree - Philadelphia PA
- Law Enforcement Degrees Top College with Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs - Tucson AZ
- Criminal Justice Degree Program in MN
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses