- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 100
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Read Notes on the Treble Clef Staff
Course SummaryRefresh your memory of or learn new information about introductory music topics with the assistance of this course. The lessons available in this course cover a wide range of music topics, and can help you prepare for a big music exam or a pop quiz, complete a homework assignment, or boost your knowledge of music fundamentals for personal interest.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About the Course
Explore different eras of music, from Renaissance to modern-day rock, through our Music 101: Intro to Music course. This series of brief video lessons also covers various types of music and prominent composers. Additionally, this course features self-assessment quizzes and other practice tests that can help you gauge how much you've learned.
Our experienced, knowledgeable educators have put together several comprehensive video lessons that make learning fun and engaging. These lessons vary in topic from how to read notes on a staff to identifying the roles in an opera. Each category is broken down into smaller chapters that cover topics more in-depth.
|Elements of Music||Study how to read notes on treble and bass clef staffs. Also examine sharps, flats, key signatures, timbre, instrument families, tempo, rhythm, musical forms and meter.|
|Opera and Orchestral Music||Learn about what an opera is, roles in an opera, types of operas and orchestral music.|
|Jazz Music||Examine the elements of jazz and famous jazz masters.|
|Musical Theater and Popular Music||Explore Broadway masters, such as Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein and Stephen Sondheim.|
|Medieval Music||Discover medieval music through looking at the birth of harmony, motets, courtly love songs and composers.|
|Renaissance Music||Take a look at Renaissance singing, sacred and secular music, composers and types of music.|
|The Baroque Period in Music||Find out about musical instruments, like the organ and the harpsichord. Also study music patronage and Baroque composers.|
|The Classical Period in Music||Study the form of classical music, the piano, the history of the symphony and composers from this period.|
|The Romantic Period in Music||Learn about emotional expression and composers in Romantic era music.|
|Twentieth Century Music||Examine atonality, experimental music and composers of the 20th century.|
|Rock Music||Study rock music.|
|World Music||Explore music from East Asia, West Asia, West Africa and Eastern Europe, in addition to Oceanic and Latin music.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Music Theory Degrees with Course Information
- Music Theory Education Program and Course Information
- Music Schools in Tennessee with Program and Course Information
- Music and the Brain: Listening to Music Could Help You Learn
- Music Lessons for Non-Musicians
- Distance Learning Courses and Certificates in Music
- Online Computer Music Courses Overview
- Music Composer Courses and Degree Programs
- Music Video Director Courses and Classes
- Music Director Schools and Courses: How to Choose
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses