- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 75
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Course SummaryWhen you take this engaging course, you'll learn about programming methodology and network architecture while earning an Introduction to Computing Certificate. You can use this certificate and the knowledge you've gained to strengthen your resume or online job profile.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This Introduction to Computing certificate course offers a flexible learning option to individuals who want to discover the components of computer hardware and operating systems software as well as data and telecommunications systems. Our entertaining video lessons and quizzes allow you to explore these topics and more in as little as one week.
Who's This For?
This course is for administrative assistants, office clerks, managers or anyone else looking to improve their efficiency and productivity through the use of computer hardware, software and networking systems.
There are no prerequisites for this introductory course.
Benefits of the Certificate
Lessons in this certificate course could improve your troubleshooting skills and give you a better idea of how to use the computer hardware and software available to you, whether for personal or professional reasons. Listed below are just some of the benefits of completing this course:
- Enhance your resume or LinkedIn profile
- Improve your computer literacy
- Show your dedication to life-long learning
Introduction to Computing Program Breakdown
Explore the uses of word processing, database and communications software. Survey the components of multimedia and web design applications.
Study user interfaces, file systems and other components of computer operating systems. Learn which tools are used to maintain computer performance.
Identify the functions of computer input and output devices, system components and storage devices.
Social Impacts and History of Computing
Consider how information technology impacts the economy, drives globalization and affects job design. Explore issues associated with open source software, intellectual property and user privacy.
Discover the differences between relational and distributed databases. Study database structure and the functions of database management systems. Find out what's required to ensure data security.
World Wide Web
Get an introduction to Internet connectivity and web page design. Survey the types of programming and scripting languages. Learn Internet security essentials.
Network Access and Architecture
Identify telecommunications systems components. Compare various network architectures, and discover what types of communications networks are used by wireless computing devices.
Examine the tools used to develop software systems and identify stages in the systems development life cycle. Take a closer look at the processes involved in the development of applications software and graphical user interfaces.
Discover the five elements of programming before comparing object oriented, procedural and functional programming. Get examples of computer algorithms. Explore the processes involved in debugging and compiling code.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Diploma and Certificate Programs in Networking
- Learn Hypnosis: Certification Program and Course Information
- Online Computed Tomography Certification: Program Info
- Online Certificate in Network Management with Program Overviews
- Online Programming Certifications and Certificates
- Online Plumbing Courses and Certificate Programs
- Online Electrical Certification Programs and Courses
- Online Microsoft Certificate Programs and Courses
- A+ Networking Certificate: Program Summary
- What Are Job Certification Programs?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses