- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 75
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The History of Counseling: Before 1900
Course SummaryIt only takes a few weeks to earn an Introduction to Counseling Certificate when you take our engaging course. After studying these mobile-friendly video lessons, quizzes and printable transcripts, take the exam to earn a certificate that can be used to highlight your skill level and knowledge on your resume.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use quick and engaging video lessons to learn common counseling techniques and theories and earn an Introduction to Counseling Certificate in less than two weeks. You'll learn techniques for behavioral and reality therapy and study the theories presented by Freud, Piaget and Jung. Dynamic animations and illustrations help you quickly retain the critical info presented in the course.
Who's This For?
Those who work in teaching, social services, human resources, healthcare, protective services or any field that provides support to individuals facing difficult challenges.
There are no prerequisites for this introductory course.
Benefits of the Certificate
The benefits of acquiring skills in counseling are varied. Some ways you can use the certificate to your advantage are listed below.
- Demonstrate to current and future employers your mastery of counseling fundamentals by adding this certificate to your resume or LinkedIn profile.
- Use it to meet continuing education requirements asked for by some employers.
- If you volunteer in positions that require interaction with children and adults, the skills acquired in this course might be useful.
- Use the course to strengthen your relationships with family and friends or to help you in social situations.
Introduction to Counseling Program Breakdown
The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy
Get started in this course with a look at the history of counseling prior to 1900 through the new millennium. Examine St. Augustine's writings, works by E.G. Williamson and the emergence of multicultural counseling.
The Professional Counselor
Learn about counseling types and specialties in this chapter, which also teaches you about counselor qualities, education requirements and work settings for counselors.
The Counseling Process
Examine the purpose for individual counseling and learn about the intake process, assessment tests and counseling termination.
Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
This chapter introduces a variety of counseling theories, including theories from Freud, Alfred Adler, B.F. Skinner, Eric Berne and Carl Rogers.
Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
In this chapter, learn about licensing and certification requirements for counselors, the importance of ethics in counseling and legal aspects associated with the counseling relationship.
Human Growth and Development in Counseling
Explore theories by Freud, Piaget and Jung in this chapter, which also discusses psychosocial development, moral development, feminist development and adult development theories.
This chapter looks at counseling purposes, issues and problems at different school levels, including counseling for elementary, middle school and college students.
Learn about the career counseling process, career development theories and counseling in business in this chapter.
Mental Health, Substance Abuse & Rehabilitation Counseling
Techniques for mental health counseling, rehabilitation counseling and alcohol abuse treatment and drug addictions counseling are addressed in this chapter.
Social and Cultural Elements of Counseling
This chapter examines multicultural counseling and gender and age-based counseling theories. It also explores gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender counseling.
Marriage and Family Counseling
Learn about the family counseling process and theories on couples and marriage counseling in this chapter, which also teaches you about the family life cycle and effects of child abuse and neglect.
Close out the course with lessons on types and structure of group counseling, the stages of group experience and group counseling theories.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Long Does IT Take To Earn A BSN?
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- How Long Does IT Take to Get My MCSE Certification?
- How Long Does IT Take to Get a Teaching Certificate?
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Why Do I Have to Take a Capstone Course?
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Do You Have What IT Takes To Be an RA?
- What Does IT Take to Be an Artist?
- What Does IT Take to Be a Mechanic?
- Photography Training Top School for Becoming a Professional Photographer - Indianapolis IN
- SUNY at Buffalo - University at Buffalo
- Top Computer Engineering and Electronics Technology School - Orlando FL
- Residential Interior Design Degree Program in South Carolina
- Top School for a Career in Automotive Technology and Auto Mechanics - Orlando FL
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses