- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 57
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
Course SummaryLet us help you prepare for the ISEB Common Entrance at 13+ English exam with this informative test prep course. Our video lessons and quizzes are a comprehensive, mobile-friendly study guide you can access at any time.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
6 chapters in ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ English: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The professionally-designed chapters in this course help you get ready to take the ISEB Common Entrance at 13+ English exam. You can review the entire course or just focus on the chapters and lessons that correspond to the subjects you need to work on. Assessment quizzes allow you to assess how well you understand the material and how you might do on the exam. Once you have worked through this course, you will be proficient with the following topics:
- Analyzing literary prose
- Interpreting poetry
- Writing techniques for essays
- Different modes of writing
- Spelling, punctuation and capitalization
About the Exam
The ISEB Common Entrance at 13+ exam is used by many independent senior schools in the UK for admission. The test is taken in Year 8. Tests the core subjects of English, Math and Science are required, while other test subjects are chosen from a list of electives. When taking the English exam, students must complete two papers worth 50 marks each. Test-takers are given one hour and 15 minutes for each paper, including reading and planning time. Each paper is divided into two sections - a reading section with questions based off a sample text passage and a writing section that tests essay-writing abilities.
ISEB Common Entrance at 13+ English Exam Preparation & Registration
Once you have worked through this course, you should possess the range of skills assessed by the exam, including how to analyze literary prose and poetry and how to write thoughtful literary analysis. Our video and text lessons cover all the topics found on this exam, and you can review them as many times as needed until you've mastered the content. The multiple-choice quizzes and chapter tests gauge your performance and can identify areas that need further work before test day.
Many independent prep schools in the UK that use the Common Entrance exam automatically register students to take the exam. If you attend a state school or an independent school that does not regularly use the exam, you can register on the ISEB website. Exams are offered three times a year in November, January and May/June. Test dates are open for registration four months in advance and close approximately a month before the examination takes place.
ISEB Common Entrance at 13+ Exam is a registered trademark of the ISEB Limited, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Test Prep
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- How Video Games Help Children with ADHD Study & Have Fun
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses