- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 18
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Improving your Note-taking Skills: Strategies for Mapping a Speech
Course SummaryUse the lessons on this short course to help employees who speak or write little or no English improve their communications skills for the workplace. Increasing your employee's ability to read, speak and write English improves their productivity and the overall morale in your company.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course is comprised of a few chapters that offer strategies for helping employees strengthen their oral and written communication skills. They can learn how to apply these strategies in everyday situations in the workplace, such as writing emails and memos, speaking with customers or interacting with English-speaking co-workers. Chapter topics include:
- Methods for understanding spoken English
- English communication strategies
- English language reading practices
How It Works
Through easy-to-follow lessons, this corporate training course can support the development of English language skills in any employee who struggles to understand or converse in English. This course can be accessed on any device, which makes it possible for training to be held in office or at home.
Using this course involves:
- Watching short and engaging videos promoting English language use and comprehension
- Measuring each employee's grasp of the material with assessment quizzes
- Printing lesson transcripts to further promote English language reading skills
- Verifying their understanding of key ELL concepts with chapter tests and a final exam
How It Helps
- Improves communication: Better communication between employees, employees and management, and employees and customers and vendors can lead to a more successful work environment.
- Reduces errors: By learning to communicate effectively, your employees can avoid any confusion or errors that might result from any language barriers.
- Increases productivity : Employees can use improved communication methods to work more quickly and efficiently.
|Chapter Title||Topics & Objectives|
|Understanding Spoken English||Review the stages of the listening process and how to apply them when listening for transitions, tone and attitude|
Signal words marking agreements and disagreements
Strategies for listening for the main point
Understanding non-American accents
Note-taking benefits and strategies
|Communicating in English|| Study ways to apply effective communication methods such as speech organization and pace|
How to fix speaking mistakes
Ways to recover from making speaking errors
|Reading in the English Language|| Using context to determine word meanings|
Employing visualization techniques while reading
Inferring the meanings of words
Strategies for close reading and big picture reading
Understanding figurative and literal meanings of words
Using context clues, prior knowledge and word structure when reading
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses