- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 73
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Simple and Differential Stains: Definition and Examples
This course can be found in: ASCP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 ASCP study guides, and 400+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis convenient online test prep course helps you get ready for the M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology exam in a few short weeks. Access these short lessons and quizzes to review and master all of the microbiology concepts that you'll encounter on the exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
17 chapters in M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology: Study Guide & Exam Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Common Microbiology Laboratory Equipment||Take Quiz|
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Mycobacteria Susceptibility Tests: Definition, Purpose & Techniques||Take Quiz|
About This Course
We've aligned this course with the concepts that appear on the M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology exam. If you're planning on taking this test, you can make sure you're fully prepared by working through this collection of short, informative, engaging and expertly presented science lessons. You'll have the opportunity to review details about microbiology lab techniques and equipment, bacteria, parasites, viruses and microorganisms. Access the lessons as often as needed and use jump tags to focus only on those topics you need to review. Reach out to experts with any lesson-specific questions and use self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to test your knowledge as you go through the course.
Check out our ASCP test prep materials! We've got ASCP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ASCP study guides to help you study, ASCP practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ASCP resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the material addressed on the M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology certification exam is covered in this comprehensive study guide. You'll review how to analyze samples in labs and follow safety protocols as well as learn more about fungi, bacteria and more. After you complete this course, you should be able to:
- Describe microbiology lab techniques
- Identify types of microbiology lab equipment
- Understand lab safety practices and sterilization techniques
- Discuss bacterial cell morphology and bacterial infections
- Talk about fungal growth and diseases
- Provide details about parasites and prepare parasite specimens
- Perform tests for mycobacteria susceptibility and immunologic and serologic tests
- Outline the role of a microbiologist technologist and discuss continuing education opportunities for these professionals
This course is made up of 16 individual chapters broken down into 61 video and text lessons. With 24/7 accessibility and printable transcripts, you can study at any time, anywhere, so it's simple to fit your review into any schedule.
M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam Information
This test is a certification exam for candidates who wish to obtain the American Society for Clinical Pathology's microbiology technologist certification.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam Breakdown
|M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Concept||Percent of M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Fungi and Actinomycetes||10-15%||10-15 questions||3|
|Mycobacteria, Viruses, and Other Organisms||10-15%||10-15 questions||5|
|Laboratory Operations||15-20%||15-20 questions||40|
M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Test Preparation & Registration
You can study this course at your own pace, and it's accessible on any computer or mobile device. This online format allows you to prepare for the exam at school, at work, at home or when you're on the go. You'll watch and read bite-sized lessons that are all taught by expert science instructors covering information about lab processes, safety regulations, specimen testing and analysis techniques.
There are a handful of eligibility requirements that you must meet in order to qualify for the exam. These requirements include having an existing ASCP credential and/or related science degrees. Check the ASCP website for the most up-to-date information regarding the exam's eligibility requirements. Once you determine if you're eligible, you'll be able to complete your test registration online. The ASCP website will ask you to create an account, pay an application fee and submit your application. You will then be emailed an Admission Notice. You will have 60 days to take this self-administered exam on your own computer.
The M (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology exam is a registered trademark of the American Society for Clinical Pathology, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Microbiology Course and Class Overviews
- Microbiology Courses and Classes Overview
- List of Free Online Microbiology Courses and Training Options
- Food Microbiology Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Courses to Be an Anesthesia Technologist: Course Overviews
- ASCP Course and Class Information
- Study.com Updates
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- What Can You Do With a Master's in Microbiology?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses