- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 194
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Nurse Aide: Definition & Duties
Course SummaryIf you are seeking to become a nurse aide in Massachusetts, you must obtain certification by passing an exam. This study guide reviews nurse aide duties and practices you will need to be familiar with when taking the Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
24 chapters in Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation (CNA Test) Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
From nursing care practices to communication and safety procedures, this extensive guide is a quick and convenient study tool you can utilize to prepare for the Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test. Short video and text lessons offer detailed reviews of what nurse aides do, how they provide care in various healthcare settings, educate and communicate with patients, tend to dying patients and other relevant topics. After completing your study of this course, you should have developed a better understanding of the following:
- Roles, principles and ethics of nurse aides
- Nursing communication strategies
- Personal hygiene and safety promotion
- Injuries, infections and infection control
- Emergency situations and processes for emergency care
- Personal care nursing skills
- The basics of nutrition, fluid balance and sleep
- Care of skin, circulatory and bowel issues
- Nursing assessment methods
- Physical impairments and the use of assistive devices
- Mental/psychosocial health and concerns
- Types and management of pain
- The aging process and hospice care
About the Exam
The Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test is a two-part exam consisting of a written or oral portion and a skills demonstration portion. The former is a paper-based test containing 60 multiple-choice questions that can be delivered orally via CD player. The oral option is available only at regional American Red Cross test centers. You will have two hours to complete the written/oral exam. In the skills test, candidates must demonstrate nursing skills in a simulated scenario. Both parts of the test are administered on the same day. Notification of passing or failing the exam is sent via mail in three weeks following the exam.
Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation Exam Preparation & Registration
In this course, you will find lessons devoted to various topics you will encounter on the Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test. You will have the opportunity to review details about what types of injuries and illnesses nurse aides care for, personal and emergency care processes, patient rights and education, infection prevention and control, and assessment of specific conditions, vital signs and more. You will build a deeper understanding of nurse aide roles in areas of mental health, pain management, end-of-life care and patient mobility. This course allows for a convenient and self-paced study option, with lessons accessible from any device 24/7 and instructors with experience in the nursing field. Determine how much you know and whether you need further review by taking brief self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams as your progress through the guide.
Once you have completed a nurse aide training program, you will be eligible to take the Massachusetts Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test. You can obtain an application by downloading it from the American Red Cross website or having it mailed or emailed to you by requesting it from your local ARC office. Send the completed application, proof of training program completion, remittance of test fees in the form of a money order or cashier's check and any other required documentation to the ARC Testing Office at the address indicated on the website. Written notification of your test date and time will be sent via mail once your application is processed.
The Massachusetts Nurse Assistant (CNA) Evaluation test is administered by the American Red Cross and the Massachusetts Health Care System, neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Certified Nurses Aide: Nurses Aide Certification Program Overviews
- What Does a Nurse Do?
- How Can I Become a Nurse?
- Nurses Aide Certification Program Overviews in NJ with School Info
- Nurses Aide Training Programs and Requirements
- Certified Nurses Aide Course Descriptions
- Certified Nurses Aide Training Programs
- Massachusetts Home Health Aide Certificates with Course Info
- Nurse Aide Training in TN with Course Descriptions
- Nurse Aide Training in Michigan with Program Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses