- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 92
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
This course can be found in: ASCP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 ASCP study guides, and 400+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this comprehensive test preparation course to study for the MB (ASCP) Technologist in Molecular Biology exam. The course contains short lessons and practice quizzes that can help you quickly prepare for the test, and you can practice answering the types of questions you'll encounter on exam day. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
18 chapters in MB (ASCP) Technologist in Molecular Biology: Study Guide & Exam Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
If you're planning to take the MB (ASCP) Technologist in Molecular Biology exam, use this test prep course to get ready in a few short weeks. Inside, you'll find a series of simple and fun science lessons that go over all of the concepts on which you could be tested, such as gene mutations, nucleic acid, chromosomal structures and microbial genetics. Expert instructors guide you easily through these complex topics, and you can reach out with any questions via a brief online contact form. View the lessons as often as needed, and even print transcripts to create quick-reference materials. Take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to ensure your full understanding of each topic as you move through this course.
Check out our ASCP test prep materials! We've got ASCP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ASCP study guides to help you study, ASCP practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ASCP resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The lessons found in this comprehensive study guide align directly with the concepts covered in the MB (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology certification exam. You can review biological and chemical concepts in genetics, DNA replication, chromosomes, nucleic acid and lab techniques. After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss the chemistry of nucleic acid
- Define chromosomal and extrachromosomal structures
- Understand gene mutations and the DNA replication process
- Give details about translation and transcription processes
- Describe biological properties and laws of genes
- Explain aspects of microbial genetics
- Outline techniques used in nucleic acid amplification, sequencing, isolation, separation and detection
- Analyze and evaluate scientific data
- Detail quality assurance and safety practices in science labs
- Identify applications of molecular testing for infectious diseases
This course is made up of 17 individual chapters broken down into 81 video and text lessons. It's easy to set a convenient study schedule with 24/7 accessibility to all lessons from any device. Use your Dashboard to track your progress through this guide.
MB (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam Information
This exam is intended for candidates who are pursuing molecular biology technologist certification through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $240 application fee
MB (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam Breakdown
|MB (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Concept||Percent of MB (ASCP) Technologist in Microbiology Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Molecular Science||20-25%||20-25 questions||41|
|Molecular Techniques||30-35%||30-35 questions||16|
|Laboratory Operations||15-20%||15-20 questions||18|
|Applications of Molecular Testing||30-35%||30-35 questions||6|
MB (ASCP) Technologist in Molecular Biology Test Preparation & Registration
This course allows you to study for the exam at your own pace. The course's lessons are designed to simplify complex molecular biology concepts and define scientific terms in a way that's easy to understand and remember. You can more easily remember concepts regarding genetic processes, chromosomal structures and lab techniques.
In order to be eligible for the exam, you must meet several education and experience requirements, such as having an existing ASCP credential in another scientific area, having a baccalaureate degree or having a graduate-level degree. Consult the official ASCP website for up-to-date eligibility requirements. If you're eligible for the exam, you'll be able to complete your registration online through the official ASCP website. You'll be prompted to create an ASCP account, submit an application and pay an application fee.
The MB (ASCP) Technologist in Molecular Biology exam is a registered trademark of the American Society for Clinical Pathology, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- GED Practice Test Online with Example GED Practice Test Questions
- ASCP Test Preparation & Resources
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- ASCP Course and Class Information
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- List of Free Online Typing Courses and Practice Programs
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Online Molecular Biology Course and Class Reviews
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Software Testing Degree and Course Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses