- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 92
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam: Content, Structure & Scoring
This course can be found in: MBLEx Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, an in-depth MBLEx study guide, and 90+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this comprehensive study guide, you will find lessons reviewing such topics as the application of massage therapy, working with clients, kinesiology, business practices and more. This course is designed to cover the material found on the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx). This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This study guide addresses clinical and non-clinical topics associated with the field of massage therapy that those seeking licensure need to be familiar with. It covers topics in areas of anatomy, ethics, practice, history and business operations, all of which are covered on the MBLEx test. Each lesson takes ten minutes or less to review and offers thorough overviews of each topic. Expert instructors guide you through the material, and you can reach out with any questions using a brief online contact form. Take self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to ensure your full understanding of each topic as you move through the course.
Check out our MBLEX test prep materials! We've got MBLEX courses to teach you the material, a comprehensive MBLEX study guide to help you study, MBLEX practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MBLEX resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This study guide is designed to be one of the most comprehensive resources you can access to prepare for the MBLEx test. You will find lessons focusing on massage therapy techniques for soft tissue injuries, client management, kinesiology and tissue pathology. After you finish this course, you should be able to:
- Detail the basics and history of massage therapy
- List the structures and functions of human body systems
- Discuss aspects of kinesiology
- Describe soft tissue manipulation
- Outline ethical principles in massage therapy
- Understand massage therapy tools, safety and hygiene
- Provide details about effective business practices in massage therapy
This course is made up of 10 individual chapters broken down into 79 video and text lessons. Use your handy Dashboard to track your progress through this course and access lessons 24/7 from any device.
MBLEx Exam Information
The MBLEx is a massage therapy exam administered as part of the licensure process in 44 states and the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Candidates must first complete an education program to be eligible to take this exam.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $195
MBLEx Exam Breakdown
|MBLEx Exam Concept||Percent of MBLEx Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Anatomy and Physiology||12%||12 questions||16|
|Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution, Special Populations||13%||13 questions||7|
|Benefits and Physiological Effects of Techniques That Manipulate Soft Tissue||14%||14 questions||10|
|Client Assessment, Reassessment & Treatment Planning||17%||17 questions||9|
|Overview of Massage & Bodywork Modalities/Culture/History||5%||5 questions||3|
|Ethics, Boundaries, Laws, Regulations||15%||15 questions||10|
|Guidelines for Professional Practice||13%||13 questions||13|
MBLEx Test Preparation & Registration
This study guide covers everything you will need to know as a candidate for the MBLEx test. Video and text lessons provide detailed studies of the history and modalities of massage and bodywork, soft tissue manipulation techniques, massage tools and supplies, safety practices, and identifying and meeting client needs. You will also study structures and functions of the circulatory, muscular, skeletal and other systems; joints, muscle types and range of motion. Additionally, you will review various aspects of running a massage therapy business.
Registering for the MBLEx test can be done online or by mail. Simply submit a completed application and payment of the required test fee. Once the application has been approved, an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter is sent to the candidate. At this time, Pearson VUE can be contacted via email or phone to set up a location and test date no later than 90 days past the receipt of the ATT letter.
The MBLEx test is governed and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and Pearson VUE, neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- California Massage Therapy Schools with Course Information
- Massage Therapy License and Certificate Information
- More Than Relaxation: Study.com Speaks With a Massage Therapy Student
- A Healing Touch: Study.com Speaks With a Massage Therapy Professor
- Asian Therapies - Massage and Bodywork
- Top Schools for Massage Therapy
- Online Therapeutic Massage Course and Class Overviews
- Online Sports Massage Courses and Training Programs
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Study.com Updates
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses