- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 92
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam: Content, Structure & Scoring
Course SummaryIn this comprehensive study guide, you will find lessons reviewing such topics as the application of massage therapy, working with clients, kinesiology, business practices and more. This course is designed to cover the material found on the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx).
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This study guide addresses most clinical and non-clinical topics associated with the field of massage therapy that those seeking licensure would need to be familiar with. It covers topics in areas of anatomy, ethics, practice, history and business operations, all of which are covered in the MBLEx test. Details you will find discussed in this course include:
- History of massage therapy
- Repair of soft tissue injuries and soft tissue manipulation
- Mental health and behavioral disorders and theories
- The structure and functions of human organ systems
- Basic details about kinesiology
- Tissue pathology and issues that can and cannot be addressed by massage therapy
- Strategies and practices for client treatment, evaluations and collection of information
- Massage therapy ethics, laws and regulations
- Safety and hygiene guidelines in massage therapy
- Managing a massage therapy business
About the Exam
The MBLEx is a massage therapy licensing exam administered in 44 states and the District of Columbia as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is a computer-based exam consisting of 100 multiple-choice questions broken down into eight content areas: anatomy & physiology; kinesiology; pathology; soft tissue manipulation; client assessment and treatment planning; massage and bodywork modalities/ history/ culture; ethics, laws and regulations; and professional practice guidelines. Test takers are given two hours to complete this exam. The scaled score range for this exam is 300-900; a score of 630 or above indicates a passing score.
MBLEx Test Preparation & Registration
This study guide covers everything you will need to know as a candidate for the MBLEx test. Video and text lessons provide detailed studies of the history and modalities of massage and bodywork, types and repairs of soft tissue injuries, soft tissue manipulation techniques, massage tools and supplies, safety practices, and identifying and meeting client needs. You will also study structures and functions of the circulatory, lymphatic, urinary, muscular, skeletal and nervous systems; joints, muscle types and range of motion. Additionally, you will review client assessment tests and treatment planning; massage therapy boundaries and code of ethics; and various aspects of running a massage therapy business, from hiring personnel to maintaining client and business documents. Each lesson can be accessed at any time, from any internet-ready device, so studying is convenient and self-paced. Expert instructors guide you through each topic and quizzes can be used to determine how much you have learned in preparation for the MBLEx test.
Registering for the MBLEx test can be done online or by mail. Simply submit a completed application and payment of the required test fee. Once the application has been approved, an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter is sent to the candidate. At this time, Pearson VUE can be contacted via email or phone to set up a location and test date no later than 90 days past the receipt of the ATT letter.
The MBLEx test is governed and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and Pearson VUE, neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Massage Therapy License and Certificate Information
- California Massage Therapy Schools with Course Information
- Asian Therapies - Massage and Bodywork
- Top Schools for Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy Degree Program Information
- How to Choose a Massage Therapy School or College
- Equine Massage Therapy Schools: How to Choose
- Massage Therapy Certificate: Program Overview
- Associate of Massage Therapy: Degree Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses