- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 191
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is the Composition of Blood?
This course can be found in: ASCP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 ASCP study guides, and 400+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this helpful online test preparation course to get ready for the MLT (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Technician exam. Inside, you'll find short lessons and practice quizzes that go over all of the concepts you'll need to know for this certification test. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
26 chapters in MLT (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Technician: Study Guide & Exam Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
If you're planning on taking the MLT (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Technician exam, use this course to get ready in a few short weeks. These expertly taught lessons and self-assessment quizzes help you quickly review the concepts and types of questions that you'll encounter on the test. The course is aligned with all of the exam topics, including analyzing bodily fluids, blood group systems, immunogenicity and the important enzymes in the human body. Help from one of our experts is available in the Dashboard if you have any questions along the way.
Check out our ASCP test prep materials! We've got ASCP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ASCP study guides to help you study, ASCP practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ASCP resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Each professionally written lesson in this course covers a different content area that you'll need to know to do well on the exam. You'll study lipids and lipoproteins, endocrinology and transfusion therapy, among other topics. Once you finish this course, you should be able to achieve the following objectives:
- Outline genetics and blood groups
- Define immunogenicity, antibodies and antigens
- Discuss special blood tests and crossmatching
- Understand transfusion therapy and blood donations
- Explain bodily fluid analysis
- Identify carbohydrates, electrolytes, enzymes, lipids and lipoproteins
- Describe acid-base regulation
- Detail compounds that contain nitrogen
- Outline tumor markers and endocrinology
- Define toxicology, hematology, immunology and microbiology concepts
- Provide an overview of aerobic gram-positive/negative cocci and gram-negative bacilli
- Discuss fungi, parasites and the human body
- Understand tuberculosis and mycobacteria
- Describe viruses and microorganisms
- Outline lab operations, mathematics and safety
Comprised of 191 concise lessons and 26 chapters grouped by topic, this course provides you with a comprehensive resource you can use to prepare for the exam. Be sure to answer the questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to ensure that you're ready to sit for the test.
MLT (ASCP) Medical Lab Technician Exam Information
The exam is intended for candidates who are seeking American Society of Clinical Pathology's Medical Laboratory Technician credential.
- Number of Questions: 100
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: Two hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $175
MLT (ASCP) Medical Lab Technician Exam Breakdown
|MLT (ASCP) Medical Lab Technician Exam Concept||Percent of the MLT (ASCP) Medical Lab Technician Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Blood Bank||15-20%||15-20 questions||27|
|Urinalysis & Other Bodily Fluids||5-10%||5-10 questions||9|
|Laboratory Operations||5-10%||5-10 questions||20|
MLT (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Technician Test Preparation & Registration
You can work through this course at your own pace, using any computer or mobile device. This flexibility allows you to get ready for the exam at home, school, work or wherever you happen to be. Our expert instructors have designed these lessons to be short, memorable and engaging. This way, you can quickly take away important lesson concepts and enjoy the studying process. Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you reinforce your understanding of the material. Take the chapter exams to master key concepts, and feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you have any. The course also includes a final assessment to help you see how prepared you are for the MLT (ASCP) exam.
Eligibility for this exam involves having a combination of academic and professional experience in biology. Be sure to check the official ASCP website for specific and up-to-date requirements concerning the exam's eligibility routes. If you're eligible for the exam, you can complete your test registration online. Online registration involves creating an ASCP account, submitting personal information and paying application fees. You will also need to submit official transcripts for academic work.
The MLT (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Technician exam is a registered trademark of the American Society for Clinical Pathology, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- ASCP Test Preparation & Resources
- Online Medical Records Technician Course Information
- Online Certificate Courses: How Do They Work?
- Online Certificate in Medical Massage Science with Course Info
- ASCP Course and Class Information
- Medical Laboratory Technician Certificate: Program Overview
- Online CFP Preparation Course Information
- Overview of Courses for Medical Equipment Technicians
- Online Medical Laboratory Technician Schools: How to Choose
- Online Safety Technician Courses Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses