- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 388
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Nature of Science
This course can be found in: MTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTEL study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this comprehensive study guide to prepare for the MTEL Biology exam at your own pace. Our short, engaging video and text lessons go over all the topics you'll find on the exam so you can be as prepared as possible on test day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTEL Courses
About This Course
The content in this course aligns with the material that appears on the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Biology assessment. This course's content reflects the needed depth of biology knowledge for teaching licensure in Massachusetts. Explore the course's engaging and expertly taught lessons to review the cell biology, anatomy, genetics and environmental science topics you'll need to know for the day of your exam. You'll take practice quizzes throughout your test preparation efforts, and you can submit questions to our experts if you need any extra help with the material. For your convenience, we've made the course material accessible 24/7.
Check out our MTEL test prep materials! We've got MTEL courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTEL study guides to help you study, MTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is closely aligned with the types of biology topics that appear on the MTEL Biology exam. As you progress through the course, you'll refresh your understanding of fundamental science topics, such as the nature of scientific inquiry, the foundations of organic chemistry, human anatomy and physiology and the history of life. When you're finished working through the course, you should be able to:
- Describe the components of ecosystems and biomes
- Analyze relevant global warming and environmental issues
- Identify renewable resources
- Describe the foundations of biochemistry and microbiology
- Summarize the process of DNA replication
- Talk about topics related to plant cells, structures and functions
- Explain cell reproduction and development
- Outline the transcription and translation process
- Discuss the proper use of laboratory equipment
- Name parts in the circulatory, respiratory, digestive and excretory systems
- Describe the anatomy of the human skeletal and muscular systems
- Identify fundamental body tissues
- Recognize common diseases and disorders of the body systems
This self-paced course contains 355 lessons that are grouped into 42 chapters. You'll be able to check your understanding of the lesson content with the practice quizzes, and if you have any questions about the material, you can use the course's Ask the Expert feature.
MTEL Biology (13) Exam Information
The MTEL Biology exam evaluates candidates on the pedagogical knowledge that's needed in order to teach biology in Massachusetts public schools.
- Number of Questions: 102
- Question Type: Multiple-choice and open-response
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $139
MTEL Biology (13) Exam Breakdown
In addition to the subareas listed below, the final 20% of the exam will feature two constructed-response questions that test your abil