- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 225
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
This course can be found in: MTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTEL study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe course provides an overview of all the subjects you could be tested on when sitting for the MTEL Early Childhood exam so you're ready to earn the best score you can. You'll review instructional strategies and concepts that are needed to teach preschool children in Massachusetts.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTEL Courses
About This Course
The engaging lessons and quizzes that make up this course offer you the opportunity to review concepts you will need to know for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Early Childhood exam. You'll review a range of topics, including early childhood development, developmental learning theories, positive learning environments and the roles of early education teachers. Lessons also focus on general concepts of various subjects, including writing, reading, social studies, math, health and science. The course is entirely self-paced, and you can access it online at any time that fits your schedule.
Check out our MTEL test prep materials! We've got MTEL courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTEL study guides to help you study, MTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is aligned closely with the topics that appear on the exam, which ensures that you'll only study the information that matters the most. You'll learn or review information related to early childhood development, and the lessons can help you quickly establish or strengthen your early childhood instructional skills. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Promote development and learning in the classroom
- Summarize developmental learning theories
- Outline important early childhood health and safety issues
- Create a positive learning environment for young students
- Recognize the applications of early childhood assessments
- Explain how young children develop language
- Develop age-appropriate reading and writing skills in young children
- Teach young children a variety of academic subjects, including math, social studies and science
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of early childhood education teachers
The course contains a total of 214 lessons, which are divided into 23 chapters. The lessons are typically less than ten minutes long so you can quickly progress through the course. When you're finished with each lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand essential early childhood education topics.
MTEL Early Childhood (02) Exam Information
Potential early childhood educators in Massachusetts must take and pass the MTEL Early Childhood exam in order to obtain the necessary licensure needed to hold this position. The exam measures the knowledge level of these candidates to determine if they are prepared to teach young children.
- Number of Questions: 102
- Question Types: Multiple-choice and open-response
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $139
MTEL Early Childhood (02) Exam Breakdown
In addition to the subareas listed below, the final 20% of the exam will feature two constructed-response questions that test your ability to analyze some of the topics found throughout the test.
|MTEL Early Childhood Exam Concept||Percent of the MTEL Early Childhood Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of Child Development||25%||30-32||85|
|Knowledge of Children's Literature and the Writing Process||15%||18-20||26|
|Core Knowledge in the Content Areas||40%||49-51||103|
MTEL Early Childhood (02) Exam Preparation & Registration
The MTEL Early Childhood study guide is designed to cover all of the topics you would expect to encounter on the exam. You will review ways in which you can create positive learning environments, promote learning, ensure child safety, assess young students and understand the development of those in early childhood. You will also study how early childhood students develop oral communication and writing skills. Lessons also provide overviews of concepts in various content areas that you would need to be familiar with as an early childhood educator. These text lessons are taught by early childhood professionals and provide examples to ensure that you fully understand the material being reviewed. You can take self-assessment quizzes to determine the depth of your knowledge and your possible need to further study any given topic.
To register, you must create an account on the MTEL website. Once you have submitted all required information and exam fees, you can then schedule the date and location for your particular exam. An approved form of identification must be presented at the test site on the day of your exam.
MTEL is a registered trademark of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Pearson Education, Inc., neither of which are affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Early Childhood Education in Massachusetts
- The Subjects New Early Childhood Teachers Need to Study
- Early Childhood Education Courses in AZ with School Overviews
- Early Childhood Education Courses in MN with Degree Overviews
- My Journey From Early Childhood Education Certificate to Preschool Teacher
- Take Heed of These Warning Signs That You're Ready to Leave Teaching
- Business Strategy Course Overviews
- Online Courses for Early Childhood Development
- Classes and Courses in Early Childhood Education
- Massachusetts Culinary Schools with Course and Degree Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses